Fashion Your Seatbelt: Parisian Finale for Fashion Week

Alysa Rice is a freshman magazine journalism major and writes fashion reviews for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Alysa at aarice@bsu.edu. This article is the last of its series covering the previews of upcoming spring clothing collections from the world's fashion capitals.

What better way to wrap up Fashion Month than with a breath of Parisian style? Alongside New York, Paris Fashion Week holds a special place in my heart—or fantasy wardrobe, at least. With its classic designers and divine craftsmanship, Paris dominates the runway.

Among all of its talents, Paris holds some of the most prestigious labels. For this spring, Balmain’s fierce sex appeal, Christian Dior’s garden of femininity, Saint Laurent’s rock ‘n’ roll spirit and Chanel’s first-class production is all you need. Let’s dive into the three favorite words of a fashionista: foreign, French and fashion.

Alysa Rice

Balmain was in full force this week as he channeled elements from previous collections as an inspiration for the upcoming collaboration with H&M.  As a result, fresh ideas took to the runway for this spring with a touch of romantic femininity and fierce sex appeal. Tiered ruffles often cascading down trousers, long sleeves and bib-fronts met fishnets, strong shoulders and force all through a pastel palette of nude tones and new silhouettes.

“It” girls Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid were seen strutting the brand’s luxurious threads, so expect to see your feeds flooded with the long-legged beauties in Balmain’s fierce collection.

As for Christian Dior, this spring is a pure oasis of femininity. Chemise tops fastened at the sides with cute buttons show scalloped cotton undergarments, paired with military jackets adorned with flowers of sequins and chiffon. This gives a sense of softness that’s beyond ordinary. From pretty knitwear over sheer bias-cut dresses and silk minis to sharp three-piece navy-pinstriped wool suits, Dior excellently shows classic styles with a feminine touch, unlike Hedi Slimane, who took over Yves Saint Laurent. He dropped Yves and injected rock ‘n’ roll spirit into the label. His grungy-yet-glam collection strayed away from the soft palettes and girly silhouettes.

Of course, getting to Paris requires air travel. Before thinking about how dreadful it would be to endure yet another airport amidst fashion month, consider Chanel’s airport. Chanel branded luggage, Gate signs (No. 5, of course) and an overall fancy airport set-up exhibits how stylish this first-class affair really is. The Chanel classic tweedy skirt suits, some with cropped jackets and pencil skirts, versus a younger sportier look with trackpants or knitted skirt and sweater combos offer looks for both types of travelers—glamorous and comfortable. Another option for the laid-back travel look is backwards baseball cap with over-sized aviator sunglasses. With lots of layering, full skirts over trousers and sweaters tied at the waist, I’m surprised the models didn’t run into an excess baggage fee. Fly with Chanel? Yes please.

To see all of the best looks from Paris Fashion Week, check out Harper’s Bazaar’s website and be sure to follow Vogue and the designers mentioned on Instagram and Twitter and for close-ups and details about each spring collection.

Add some Parisian flair to your spring wardrobe with touches of cool, feminine palettes and silhouettes. Mix it with New York edge, London spunk and Milan classic to conquer fashion month all on your own right here in Muncie.

Au Revoir, Paris!