Here's how to green your education

students arms up in classroom
students arms up in classroom

As the climate changes and environmental issues rise, sustainability is becoming a common topic discussed in academia. Students who want to learn about sustainability are not required to declare an environmental studies major. Ball State’s core curriculum gives students from all disciplines a chance to “green” their education. Check out these three-credit hour courses and talk to your adviser to see how they could fit into your schedule.

Environment and Society, NREM 101 

Tier 1 Natural Science

• An introductory course on the role humans play in the environment. This course covers issues such as resource management, population, environmental ethics and natural resources.

Social Problems, SOC 242

Tier 1 Social Science

• Understanding social problems in our society helps to uncover environmental issues. This course discusses the social problems in current American society.

Anthropology, Culture and Globalization, ANTH 111 Tier 1 Humanities

• Learn about the cross-cultural perspective of our globalized world. How does the phenomenon affect other cultures, and most importantly, how do these cultures and our environment adapt in a globalized world?

Environmental Systems, LA 270

Tier 2 Fine Arts/Design/Humanities

• An introduction to issues in environmental ethics through an analytical lens such as theories, concepts and basic principles

Environmental Ethics, PHIL 230

Tier 2 Fine Arts/Design/Humanities, WISER course

• A course that teaches the qualitative approach to understanding natural land systems

Intro. to Sustainable Development, SUST 250

Elective course

• This introductory course examines the elements and linkages essential in natural, human and social, and economic systems.

Elementary Meteorology, GEOG 230

Elective course

• An introduction to local and global weather patterns and meteorological processes

American Environmental History, NREM 204

Elective course

• A course that explores how policies, private enterprises and conservation efforts have affected the environment throughout American history

Intro. to Peace Studies and Conflict Resolutions, ID 301 Elective course

• A hands-on class where students learn about socioeconomic and environmental conflicts on a local and global scale while collaborating with classmates to find potential solutions.

Economic and Political Problems of Emerging Nations, POLS 281 Elective course

• Underdeveloped and developing nations contribute to many environmental issues people face today. This course takes a look at the economic and social problems of various nations to understand the reasons behind the issues.

Did you know you can Minor in Sustainability at Ball State? Many of the courses listed above are offered to help complete the minor and to add a “sustainability” edge to your degree. According to the university’s website, the minor in sustainability “profiles limiting factors and identifies opportunities for interventions to confront the problems associated with those factors; the minor also provides opportunities for immersive learning with an internal or external client by assessing problems and developing recommended solutions.”

__________________________________________

This article is part of the Campus Green Guide, a free custom publication of Ball State Unified Media.