Ball State vs. Georgia State quarter updates

Fans stand in the Nest to cheer on the football team during the game against Toledo on Oct. 2 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Fourth Quarter

Anthony Winbush sacked Arbuckle, forcing Georgia State to punt. The Cardinal offense comes out trailing by two scores.

The Cardinals start their next possession near midfield after Corey Lacanaria fielded the Panthers’ punt for a career long return.

Georgia State has been doubling the Cardinals’ number one target at the start of the quarter, in Jordan Williams.

Neal found Williams on an open quick screen pass, as the Biletnikoff contender did the rest on a 19-yard touchdown.

Down 24-19, Lembo kept the offense on the field to try for a two-point conversion. Neal’s pass was intercepted.

Arbuckle found an open target past the first down marker to extend their drive.

Donovan Harden slipped as Arbuckle threw to him, which led to an in-completion. The Cardinals force a punt, and they get the ball back down five.

Neal threw a deep pass to Mabon, and was injured trying to get the ball. This would be a massive blow to the offense if it was deemed serious. Mabon hurt the same knee last week against Northern Illinois.

Arbuckle’s pass was batted down by defensive tackle Keenan Noe,l which would have been a completion if he hadn't defended the pass. Georgia State was forced to punt.

Cywettnie Brown roughed the kicker, keeping the defense on the field with just over five minutes left.

The defense forced a punt, and Teddy Williamson tipped the kick with his finger, causing a short punt.

Ball State could not get any offensive production, as they were forced to punt back to the Panthers. Neal was hit by an unblocked Panther, causing him to throw it away

Arbuckle found Donovan Harden for a 68-yard dagger of a pass. Two plays later, Arbuckle snuck it in for a touchdown. Making it 31-19, with 2:13 left.

Final score: Georgia State wins 31-19.

Third Quarter

Ball State started with the ball in second half, needing a score. Neal lead them down the field with some effective throws.

Neal is hit as he throws, causing a fumble. Gilbert recovers and the Cardinals are forced to punt. One more touchdown from Georgia State may be enough to end the game.

Demarcus Kirk fumbled on a run allowing Ball State to recover. Putting hem inside Georgia State territory to start their drive.

Darian Green is leading the Ball State offense on this drive. Two big runs put them near the Panthers' red zone.

On fourth-and-one, head coach Pete Lembo kept the offense on the field, forcing Georgia State to jump off sides.

Pressure from the inside made Neal scramble on third down and he almost hit Dylan Curry on a throw across his body.

For the second time in the day, the Cardinals settled for three points. Another Hagee field goal from 29 yards out makes it 24-13, Georgia State, with 4:46 left in the third.

Arbuckle hit Davis for a big completion for Georgia State, due to blown coverage from the secondary. He hits the 300 yard mark on passing near the end of the third.

The Ball State defense pressures Arbuckle. Still he throws it right on target to his receiver, who drops it - a huge break for the Cardinals

Riley Neal alludes a sack and runs for a Cardinal first down.

On fourth-and-two, Neal rolls out to the right and finds Chris Shillings for a touchdown, which is called back for offensive pass interference on Jordan Williams. That is the second time in three weeks (Toledo and Georgia State) that Williams has brought back a would be touchdown, due to offensive pass interference.

Instead of making it a four point deficit, the Cardinals are forced to punt. Which is how the third quarter ended, and Georgia State still leads, 24-13.

Second Quarter

Neal found KeVonn Mabon for a potential first down, but he dropped it. James Gilbert and Neal end up getting the first down on two separate runs.

After a few runs from Gilbert, Ball State is inside the red zone.

On 3rd-and-12, Neal found Lacanaria for a 16-yard completion. Putting them inside the 5-yard line.

Neal found wide open Dylan Curry for a 4-yard touchdown pass off of a read option fake. Making the score, 10-7, Ball State.

Arbuckle continued to slice up the Cardinals’ secondary, he had the Panthers driving deep into their territory.

Kyler Neal ran for a 12-yard gain, but gets hurt on the play. What would be a big loss for the Panthers’ offense, as he would be remain out for the remainder of the game.

Arbuckle completed an 11-yard pass to Davis for a Georgia State touchdown. They lead, 14-10, with 7:44 left in the second.

Arbuckle continued to have his way against the Ball State secondary, completing two big passes to start their drive.

He ran in it on a quarterback sneak to make it 21-10 with 2:51 left in the half.

Ball State ran their two-minute drill on offense. A lot of short passes thus far, with Jordan Hogue’s 18-yard completion being the biggest one.

Two consecutive drops make the Cardinals turn it over on downs.

Arbuckle throws a deep pass down the seam for a big gain. On the next play, though, they get a personal foul penalty for taunting.

Another penalty, a false start on their center, pushes the Panthers back near the edge of field goal range. Then, on the next play, a holding penalty pushes them completely out of field goal range

Arbuckle completed a short pass, and the Panther's, Will Lutz, hit a 50-yard field goal, making the score 24-10, in favor of Georgia State, at halftime.

First Quarter

The Georgia State Panthers start with the ball and are forced to a three-and-out on their first drive.

Ball State retains the ball at their own 21-yard line, Riley Neal starts the drive in rhythm. But after three first downs, the Cardinals are forced to punt.

Aaron Taylor is called for a crucial face-mask penalty giving Georgia State a first down. It didn't end up doing any damage. Ball State's defense held up, not allowing the Panthers past midfield.

On the punt, Taylor nearly redeemed himself by almost blocking the kick. His pressure resulted in a 29-yard punt.

So far, Georgia State has no real answer for Neal. He is 6-9 for 46 yards.

A problem that's been consistently plaguing the Cardinals all year is settling for field goals in the red zone. It happened again, as Georgia State forced a 35-yard field goal out of Morgan Hagee.

Hagee's kick made it 3-0, with 4:45 left in the first. The Cardinals drive went for 12 plays and 48 yards.

Georgia State found their key weapon, wide receiver, Penny Hart, for a big third down conversion. A play that put the Panthers across midfield for the first time today.

Nick Arbuckle had a great drive for Georgia State. Finding Robert Davis for a key third down conversion, and avoiding pressure for a 15-yard pass.

On the next play, Kyler Neal ran it in for a 4-yard touchdown. Georgia State leads Ball State 7-3 at the end of the first quarter.