Ball State vs. Northern Illinois - Quarter Updates

The Ball State football team huddles up during the second quarter in the game against Toledo on Oct. 2 at Scheumann Stadium. Ball State lost 24-10. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Fourth Quarter

Northern Illinois started the fourth quarter driving down the field with ease and scoring a touchdown. This drive took 97 yards and Ball State could do nothing about it. 

Drew Hare, NIU's quarterback, ran in for a 4-yard score. Making the score 45-27 near the start of the quarter.

Riley Neal did not give up, he continued to stay hot and led another scoring drive for the Cardinals. He found Corey Lacanaria for a 5-yard score with 11:48 to go in the game.

The Huskies sped up the tempo during the game, making things worse for the Ball State defense. Hare completed a 34-yard touchdown pass to Kenny Golladay to put the proverbial nail in the coffin with 10 minutes to go.

Now, it was 52-34 and the game looked as if it was over.

The offense had to punt, which leading NIU to another touchdown drive, their 9th straight drive scoring drive. This time, it was Joel Bouagnon adding a 1-yard touchdown run to make it 59-34 with 3:33 left in the game.

Even though at this point the game was over, Neal continued to shred the Huskies' secondary. He threw a 53-yard pass to Cywettnie Brown with just over two minutes left.

NIU then ran out the clock, and the game was finished.

It was a great day for Neal, but the defense's poor performance put a damper on the true freshman's breakout game. 

Third Quarter

Morgan Hagee kicked off for the Cardinals instead of Kyle Schmidt. Northern Illinois starts at their own 23-yard line.

Led by Drew Hare, the Huskies drove down the field and added another touchdown. 

14 plays, 77 yards was capped-off with a 1-yard run from Jordan Huff. NIU took the 35-20, with 10:40 left in the third quarter.

Riley Neal started off the drive with two completions to Corey Lacanaria, putting Ball State past midfield.

On the next play, Neal connected on a 48-yard touchdown pass to KeVonn Mabon. Ball State quickly cut the lead back to 8 points in less than one minute.

NIU returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown, which was called back for a Huskie holding call, negating the score. 

The Huskies' offense drove down the field again, but the Cardinals' defense this time forced a field goal. NIU leads 38-27, with 8:14 left in the third.

On the next Ball State drive, Darian Green popped off a 10-plus yard run into NIU territory.

After Neal completed a few more passes, a holding penalty brought the offense back to NIU's 39-yard line.

The next play, Neal evaded multiple Huskies' pass-rushers to find Mabon for a first down, but he drops it. That forced a Ball State punt, which Schmidt put down at the 3-yard line.

Even though the Cardinals pinned them deep, NIU maneuvered down the field. The Huskies have been pounding the ball the entire drive, which Ball State has not stopped all game.

On a key 3rd-and-8, Hare completes a pass to put them inside Ball State territory. Hare and Huff continue to run the ball, and it puts them inside the Cardinals' 5-yard line.

Barring a sudden stop, NIU looks to take a three score lead on the Cardinals.

Second Quarter

On a fourth down play, Neal rolled out of the pocket and finds Jordan Hogue in the end zone for a touchdown. Gutsy play pays off for Pete Lembo. Ball State led 10-0 with 14:48 left in the second quarter.

Northern Illinois offense began to pick. They ran down the field with ease on a quick touchdown drive. Kenny Golladay scored from 3-yards out.

The score is now 10-7, Ball State, with 11:22 left.

Darian Green gives the Cardinals great field position on the next drive with a 33-yard return. Ball State starts at their own 46-yard line.

Under pressure, Neal completed a huge first down to Brunner.

On third down, inside Northern Illinois' red zone, Neal overthrew an open KeVonn Mabon. Hagee converts on a 28-yard field goal to make it 13-7 with 7:20 left.

The Huskies continue the up-tempo pace, catching the Cardinals' defense off guard. Ball State calls their first timeout of the half, as NIU drove down to their 13-yard line.

Hare connected with a wide open Desroy Maxwell for the 13-yard touchdown. Northern Illinois gains their first lead of the game, 14-13, with 6:07 left in the quarter.

Neal makes a crucial mistake while eyeing down Mabon getting intercepted by Shawun Lurry. NIU gains possession inside of the Cardinals 15 yad line. 

With short field, the Huskies quickly score a touchdown in just over a minute. Joel Bouagnon runs it in from 1-yard out to make it 21-13 with 4:41 left.

NIU's kick went out of bounds, giving Ball State great field position, tthey go three-and-out giving Northern Illinois even more momentum. 

Hare throws a deep pass that results in Tyree Holder committing a pass interference penalty. When Jordan Huff ran it in from 17-yards out and NIU gains a 28-13, with 2:05 left before the half.

Neal is running the two-minute drill for Ball State, and working inside the Huskies territory.

Ball State sits at NIU's 20-yard line with 29 seconds left in the half. When Neal completed an 18-yard pass play to Mabon with 18 seconds left.

James Gilbert punches it in for a two-yard touchdown run with 9 seconds left.

At halftime, it is Northern Illinois leading Ball State, 28-20. The Huskies will get the ball to start the second half.

First Quarter

The Northern Illinois Huskies won the toss, deferring to the second half.

Ball State starts with a three-and-out on dropped passes from KeVonn Mabon and Jordan Hogue. Kyle Schmidt’s punt hits a Northern Illinois player at their 41-yard line. Ball State retains possession. 

Riley Neal throws it deep to Jordan Williams into double coverage, and Northern Illinois commits a pass interference penalty. Moving the Cardinals near the red zone.

Neal misses a wide open Sam Brunner in the end zone.

The Cardinals' drive stalls in the red zone. This drops Ball State's redzone touchdown conversion rating to 36-percent (8/22). Morgan Hagee connects on a 26-yard field goal to make it 3-0 with 11:38 remaining in the quarter.

Northern Illinois' offense has been forced to punt on their first two drives.

After a 12-yard first down pass to Mabon, Neal ran for a crucial fourth-and-one conversion. Ball State's would late punt on the drive.

On the ensuing punt, the Huskies muff it again, but recover at their 15-yard line.

Drew Hare tries to tuck it and run on third down, Ball State forces another three-and-out. Cardinals defense has shut down Northern Illinois up to this point.

Neal is sacked for an 11-yard loss on first down. A few plays later, Neal connected on a 20-yard dime to Jordan Williams on a long third down.

Neal once again connects with Williams on a 36-yard completion. Ball State is now in the Huskies' red zone for the second time today.

The first quarter ends with Ball State having a third-and-three from Northern Illinois' five-yard line.

Ball State leads 3-0.