Feminists for Action tackles culturally inappropriate Halloween costumes

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER

With Halloween this upcoming weekend, Feminists for Action is confronting the issue on what is and isn't a culturally appropriate costume for the holiday.

Feminists for Action will be hosting its second Feminist Friday event on Oct. 30 in the Atrium on this topic, in partnership with the Latino Student Union and the Asian American Student Association. The event will be interactive and discussion-centered on what is culturally appropriate to dress up as for Halloween.

Feminists for Action president Emmalie Hodge said the popularity of culturally offensive Halloween costumes—like dressing as a sexy Native American, Arab or the Mexican shot girl—within today’s society is a huge issue.

“It is important to understand that culture is not a costume,” Hodge said. “Anything that perpetuates some sort of stereotype is not appropriate.”

Hodge said any sort of costume that is impersonating, mocking, making fun of, sexualizing or degrading another culture is not only inappropriate, but also disrespectful.

Freshman communications major Reily Small said she believes that, in some cases, people don’t even realize the damage being done when dressing in these costumes.

“I feel like most people don’t have the mean intentions, but they are still poking fun at these cultures,” Small said. “Regardless, it’s offensive and dangerous to categorize an entire culture to fit one stereotype.”

While some may think dressing up for Halloween is just for fun and games, the reality is that this issue does matter, Hodge said.

“Offensive costumes serve to send a message to not only people around them, but also to the people who come from whichever culture is being misrepresented,” Hodge said. “It is an example of ‘othering’ the people who identify as a part of that culture; it exoticizes them and exemplifies a lack of respect.”

Sophomore video production major Jeff Spott said setting the example now will not only help educate future generations, but put an end to this issue.

“We have to start somewhere, and the best way is to set the example,” Spott said. “Things seem to stick with younger kids and when they see us [adults] wearing costumes like this, they think it’s okay. If we stop, then we stop hurting other cultures and give younger generations a sense of what cultural diversity really is.”

Students who stop by the Feminists Friday booth can expect to engage in conversations with Feminist for Action members, as well as receive handouts concerning safety and consent in preparation for the holiday weekend.

“Overall, student may expect to learn more about what actually goes into cultural appropriation,” Hodge said. “They can expect discussion over this issues and how it directly related to Halloween.”