Sorority member says hazing incidents reflect badly on all Greek Life

Ball State's handbook defines hazing as "any mental or physical requirement, request or obligation placed upon any person ... which could be harmful to the health and/or welfare of the person, or which is personally degrading ... or which has an adverse effect on the academic progress ... or which violates any federal, state or local laws or University policy." 

The Indiana University chapter of Alpha Tau Omega was shut down following allegations of hazing after a video surfaced of a member performing oral sex on a woman. 

When things like this happen, Sammi Coppedge, the new member educator for Ball State's chapter of Sigma Kappa, said it reflects badly on all Greek Life. 

"I'm just disappointed because when one person or group does something, it affects everyone," Coppedge said. 

The university originally suspended Alpha Tau Omega, but Wynn Smiley, the CEO for the national office, later said in a statement the punishment was changed for "the release of a highly inappropriate and vulgar video." 

After an investigation, the national office found the man in the video was an initiated member, and the woman to whom he gave oral sex was an exotic dancer. No pledge had to participate. The video showed the member giving the dancer oral sex as a group of men in various states of dress watched, cheering him on and occasionally kicking and hitting him. 

Both Sigma Kappa and Ball State prohibit hazing, and Coppedge said she hasn't seen any kind of hazing at the university. 

"I honestly believe Ball State is a hazing-free zone," she said. "It’s very obviously mandated, so I don’t think stuff like that happens on campus." 

At IU and Purdue University, the student handbooks say hazing is prohibited. However, IU has a more comprehensive list online of what is considered hazing. 

Coppedge said she always makes sure she includes the new members on everything and doesn't make them do anything the rest of the chapter wouldn't be required to do. 

"I make sure the chapter is in alignment with all our [hazing] rules, but at the same time, my sisters know we don’t tolerate hazing," she said. "That’s not a thing we’ve been a part of. It's just not something that would happen." 

If hazing were to occur, Coppedge said there would most likely be an investigation immediately after the allegations were brought up. 

"If you get caught, the lightest [punishment] you'll get is a suspension," she said. "But they're definitely not afraid to kick you off campus if you're not in alignment with our values." 

Adam Gordon, president of Ball State's chapter of Alpha Tau Omega, said he agreed with the quick decision of national headquarters to revoke the IU chapter's charter.

"The actions are contrary to the ideals and principles of Alpha Tau Omega and are highly offensive," Gordon said in an email. "Members of the greek community at Ball State University work together to ensure our new members are welcomed with positive activities as they become a part of our organizations."

For decades, all greek organizations and the university have taken a stance against hazing, and Gordon said they reguarly participate in educational prevention activities, like National Hazing Prevention Week in September. 

"The policies are in place to ensure our members are part of a safe, positive experience," he said. "We believe it is important to apply a standard to our actions for all our members."