A new bike trail coming to Muncie

The Prairie Creek Reservoir has new trails underway. The Mountain Bike and Hiking trail are under development. The Prairie Creek Trail area is located in the southeast corner of Prairie Creek Reservoir, near Muncie Indiana. Volunteers are constructing these trails.

Kyle Johnson Volunteer Coordinator says the project began 8 years ago.

“We went through the process of getting approval from the Muncie District Board and the Super Intendant at the time to start building trails.”

Over the winter the reservoir was granted a recreational trails program reservoir grant to help fund the project and finish up phase one of the trail.

Part of the trail connects to the cardinal greenway as well as the red-tail natures preserve.

A bridge built and designed by Ball States design and build program also connects these trails. A mile and a half of the trail over the last couple of years has been completed.

Emily Andrew Co-Volunteer Coordinator says she is excited to be apart of the designing and building process.

“ The more people we can get to go to the mountain bike trails, the more when can get people to see what cool things Muncie has to offer.”

The connecting Cardinal Greenway trail runs all the way from Richmond to Marion Indiana.

The trail use to serve as and old coal railroad line that ran through Chicago , down to Muncie and through Richmond .

Chris Toppling says the Cardinal Greenway is fit for anyone who loves nature.

“It was originally designed for cyclist, runners, joggers, walkers. Anyone who loves to get out and move.”

Not to far from the trail is a connecting Bike Shop called The Greenway 500.

The Greenway 500 Bike shop connects to the Cardinal Green way and to the Medford Trailhead.

The trails expected end date will be sometime this fall. If you would like to volunteer, be sure to head to the Prairie Creek Trails website or join the Trail Volunteer Group on Facebook.