Ball State moves up in U.S. News and World Report rankings

Fans cheer in the stands during the game against Colgate on Aug. 30 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Ball State moved up five places in the annual U.S. News and World Report rankings to tie with six other universities for the 168th best college in the U.S. 

The ranking looks at getting "the best academic value for their money," according to U.S. News and World Report. 

Ball State tied with Texas Tech University, University of Central Florida, University of Idaho, University of Louisville, University of Maine — for which President Paul W. Ferguson used to be the president — and University of Wyoming. 

While Ball State was below three Indiana universities — Indiana University (75), Purdue University (61) and University of Notre Dame (tied for 18) — the university was above Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (tied for 199) and Indiana State University, which didn't rank. 

Although the university is admitting fewer freshman students to try to bring a higher quality class in, it is still keeping total enrollment up to keep tuition prices low. 

Ferguson is also making plans to improve the university with the Centennial Commitment to try to draw the best students from around the country. He also said he prides that the university is made up primarily of Hoosier students.