Off the beaten path: alternative transportation

<p><em>UNIFIED MEDIA PHOTO BY MIKAELA MARANHAS</em></p>

UNIFIED MEDIA PHOTO BY MIKAELA MARANHAS

For those who don’t have their own vehicles to explore Muncie and farther locations, alternative transportation is available. Bikes, buses and friends can all be sources of transportation. Vehicles account for more than half of greenhouse gas emissions in the transportation sector, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Greenhouse gases contribute to global warming as well as other environmental problems. So ditch driving alone in the car and try these alternatives.

Biking

Bike racks are located near most buildings on campus free of charge. Bike lockers are available to rent for $50 per year. Lockers can be found next to residence halls such as Elliott, Johnson, LaFollette, Studebaker West, Noyer, Park and Anthony Apartments. To rent a locker, search for the Bike Locker Contract on Ball State’s website, fill it out and submit it to the Housing and Residence Life office in LaFollette.

Don’t own a bike? Buy a new one at Kirk’s Bike Shop in downtown Muncie. Kirk’s offers a wide variety of bikes, accessories and repair services with free estimates.

Kirk’s Bike Shop

124 S. Walnut St., Muncie

765-282-6389 • bkbikes.com

Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

For new and used bikes check out Hardin’s Bike Shop. The bike shop has been in business since 1998 with more than 40 years of experience. Some services include bike repair, parts, accessories and trade-ins. 

Hardin’s Bike Shop

1725 S. Walnut St., Muncie

765-289-6495 • hardinsbikeshop.com

Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-7 p.m.Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday noon-4 p.m.

Ball State’s shuttle bus service

Free Shuttle buses are available on campus throughout the day. The buses run a continuous loop from the south commuter parking lot C4 to the north bus turnaround at the north commuter lot C1. Download the Transloc app to see a live map of each shuttle bus and bus loop at Ball State.

Hours:

Every 5-10 minutes, 7:15 a.m.-11 p.m., Mon.- Thur.

Every 5-10 minutes, 7:15 a.m.-8 p.m., Fri.

Every 10-15 minutes, 5-11 p.m., Sunday

Bus Loop information:

The RED Loop stops at the following locations:

Art & Journalism Building

Ashland Avenue

Burkhardt Building

Hargreaves Music Building

LaFollette Complex

LaFollette Field

North bus turnaround at North commuter lot C1

Shafer Tower

South bus shelter in lot C4

The GREEN Loop stops at the following locations:

Anthony Apartments

Art & Journalism Building

Alumni Center

Ashland Avenue

Burkhardt Building

Hargreaves Music Building

LaFollette Complex

LaFollette Field

North bus shelter

Scheumann Stadium

Scheidler Apartments

Shafer Tower

South bus shelter in lot C4

Stadium overflow lot

Charlie's Charter

Are you looking to get around campus in the evening? Charlie’s Charter is a shuttle service that provides free transportation on Ball State University owned or controlled property. This is a convenient option for students who have a long walk home after night classes or feel uncomfortable walking late at night. Note: Charlie’s Charter does not respond to the football stadium until after 11 p.m. Before that time, students should use the shuttle buses.

Charlie’s Charter

Hours: Sunday-Thursday 6 p.m.-3 a.m.,Friday 4-7 p.m.

For service, call: 765-760-RIDE (7433)

MITS bus

To explore the city, use the Muncie Indiana Transit System, a bus service that is free to students when they present their Ball State IDs. 

Hours: Monday-Saturday

Visit mitsbus.org for times and routes.

Hoosier Ride

Hoosier Ride is a bus service that travels to several Indiana cities and five other states including Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee. Visit hoosierride.com for details and learn how to get a student discount card.

__________________________________________

This article is part of the Campus Green Guide, a free custom publication of Ball State Unified Media.