Iran deal, Clinton emails have the attention of Hoosiers

TIPTON, Ind. – Every August, like clockwork, members of Congress head back to their respective districts for some face time with the people who put them in Washington. Town halls and public forums with constituents are staples of the month-long recess.

For Rep. Susan Brooks (R-Ind.) and her fifth district, the end-of-summer routine went off as planned. Brooks put together several “Connect with your Congresswoman” events like the one she held on Monday in Tipton, Ind. Citizens got the chance at a few minutes of one-on-one time with their representative.

“They want to find out not only my position and how I’m going to vote on things but they really want me to hear what they care about and that’s why we do it this way,” Brooks said of the individual sessions.

As Congress heads back to Washington on the verge of one of the busiest falls in recent memory, constituents alerted the two-term congresswoman that all eyes would be on how she votes on the big-ticket issues.

“I will definitely talk to her about the Iran deal, about the money for Planned Parenthood…and just what she thinks are some concerns,” said Ruth Foster of Sharpsville, Ind., “I know what mine are but I’d like to know what hers are.”

While many discussed the looming nuclear deal with Iran and voiced their concerns about Planned Parenthood, another issue that has grabbed the heartland’s attention was brought up repeatedly.

Hillary Clinton’s name was talked about “with some regularity,” said Brooks, who serves on the House select committee investigating the 2012 events in Benghazi. The committee will hear testimony from Clinton in late October.

Brooks knows voters have kept up with the investigation and is looking forward to her task of setting the record straight.

“We need to get this right for American citizens who are serving around the globe,” said the congresswoman. “And that’s what I hope we do, getting the facts out because we don’t think they’ve all been told about Benghazi. It’s important work, I’m proud to be doing it.”