Delaware Christian Academy in transit

Delaware Christian Academy has had a rough start to its school year. The independent, faith-based school bought a former elementary school to hold classes this year. However because of problems with the building, students have been bussed to the old school for the first month of classes.

Since the start of the school year in August, not a single class has been held in what is supposed to be Delaware Christian Academy's new home on Walnut street in Muncie. That's because city officials denied the school an occupancy permit after citing several safety and building code violations, forcing classes to be held at the school's old building.

DCA Superintendent Dr. Mike Baur says he and other school staff worked around the clock to get the building ready, but the problems couldn't be fixed before the first day of school.

"We've been the preverbal all-nighter here the last couple weeks trying get ready for finishing up the building...and we're making great progress," Baur Said.

Until its Muncie building is deemed fit for operation, Delaware Academy students will be put on buses and driven 7 miles to the old building in Desoto.

"Mr. Smith, our principal, has done a really great job in telling the students that this is part of life, that these things with the building are things that god does that we have to take in stride," Baur said.

Baur says he's optimistic that if the upcoming inspections go well, they will be in this Muncie Building in as early as two weeks.