Day of Action projects leave lasting impact

<p>Two high school students touch up the trim around an office window at the Boys and Girls Club. <em>PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN</em></p>

Two high school students touch up the trim around an office window at the Boys and Girls Club. PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN

More than 200 volunteers took on improvement projects around Delaware County Thursday as part of the second annual United Way Day of Action. Members from 15 different organizations including banks, nonprofits, education and health services, and artists helped give a facelift to several individuals and nonprofits throughout Muncie and the surrounding areas.

One organization that benefitted from the activities was the Boys and Girls Club of Muncie. Micah Maxwell, executive director of the club, said he anticipates having helpers come each year.

“There’s a set of really important projects that throughout the course of the year we don’t have the capacity, manpower, or resources to do, and so we look forward to day of action every year,” Maxwell said.

This year, close to 50 students and staff from the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities spent the day cleaning, painting and landscaping at the Boys and Girls Club.

Brody Conner, 17, a senior at the Indiana Academy said volunteerism is one of the key aspects of what students are taught at the school.

“It’s all about giving back to the community. At the Indiana Academy, we especially value that sort of stuff and are taught to be leaders and to be active within our communities,” Conner said. “So it’s all about giving back and making the infrastructure of Muncie look it’s best as active bodies within the community.”

With close to 300 students at the Indiana Academy, 50 students signed up to participate in the Day of Action activities. John Marsh, an instructor of history at the school, said the United Way motivates individuals to volunteer.

“We’re inspired by the way the United Way sort of leads the charge in maximizing the volunteer spirit that we have here in Muncie" Marsh said. "There’s gonna be an awful lot of volunteer hours put in [Thursday] around the city and it’s gonna make a huge difference in people’s lives.

According to Jim Flatford, Director of Impact at the United Way of Delaware County, the day of action is a revamp of the day of care. He said that after a couple of lapsed years, the United Way decided to relaunch the event as a way to help organizations get out into the community and take on important volunteer projects.