Colts cut former Ball State players Patterson, O'Brien

Senior cornerback Eric Patterson waits on the sidelines during the game against Western Michigan on Oct. 11 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Former Cardinals in camp:

Eric Patterson - Colts (cut)

Kitt O'Brien - Colts (cut)

Jonathan Newsome - Colts

Willie Snead - Saints

Jahwan Edwards - Chargers (cut)

Sean Baker - Falcons (cut)

Keith Wenning - Bengals (cut)

The Colts cut a total of 20 players and placed two on the injured reserve list.

Cornerback Eric Patterson thought he had a good camp despite not making the team.

"[Training camp] was great," Patterson said. "I made the most of my opportunities just being there for a couple weeks."

Patterson signed with the team on Aug. 9 after a short stint with the New England Patriots. He recorded six tackles in the preseason for the Colts' defense. He made his presence felt as a cornerback at Ball State, earning All-Mid-American Conference honors three times.

Patterson isn't ready to give up on his NFL dreams yet, however. He said if he clears waivers, he will likely land on the practice squad.

"[Being on the practice squad] would benefit me a lot," he said. "I will be able to learn the system more and just give the team a better look in practice, just by the way I go hard in practice."

O'Brien signed in Indianapolis on Aug. 10 after originally signing three days earlier. He has played in the Arena League over the past two seasons, and started 36 of 40 career games at Ball State.

Patterson and O'Brien were two of three former Cardinals on the Colts in camp. Linebacker Jonathan Newsome made the team's roster for the second straight year.