Texas A&M defeats Ball State, 56-23

Members of the Ball State football team run onto the field before the game against Virginia Military Institute on Sept. 3 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Fourth Quarter

The Cardinals continued to drive down the field with short gains, but would have to settle for a 28-yard field goal to cut the score to 49-16.

The Aggies responded with a long drive, highlighted by a 42-yard rush from Kwame Etwi to put the Aggies in Cardinal territory. Etwi proceeded to fumble on the 1-yard line later in the drive, but it was recovered by an Aggie offensive lineman in the end zone for the touchdown. With 10:28 remaining, Texas A&M led 56-16.

The Cardinals answered with a 71-yard drive of their own. The biggest chunk of yardage came when Riley Neal hooked up with Jordan Williams for a 45-yard completion to put the Cardinals into scoring position. James Gilbert punched it up the middle from a yard out to bring the score to 56-23.

The ensuing Texas A&M drive would use up 5:35 on the clock and result in a turnover on downs.

The Cardinals would mount another impressive drive to finish the game, beginning with a 32-yard rush by Gilbert. With 10 seconds left in the game, Neal completed a pass to Curry for seven yards. An incompletion in the end zone ended the game with a final score of 56-23.

Third Quarter

Riley Neal opened the half for the Cardinals, marching the ball down the field. After rushing for 17 yards himself and drawing a pass interference call on a deep ball, Neal kept the ball himself again for an additional 12 yards. Green found the end zone from six yards out for Ball State's first touchdown.

Anthony Winbush forced a fumble on a sack on the next drive, regaining possession for Ball State at Texas A&M's 22-yard line.

The drive quickly stalled. Hagee converted from 43 yards out to make the score 49-13 with 7:39 remaining in the third quarter.

The Cardinals almost got the ball back after an onside attempt, but the Aggies came out of the pile with it. Texas A&M converted on a fourth down attempt, but was forced to punt later in the drive.

The Cardinals are driving down the field at the Aggies' 24-yard line, facing a third-and-4 to start the fourth quarter.

Second Quarter

The Aggies opened the quarter by returning a punt to the Cardinals' 14-yard line before Allen floated one to Jordan Davis in the end zone. 

The Cardinals started their next drive with a promising couple of plays. A pass interference penalty against the Aggies pushed Ball State down the field, but a dropped deep ball killed the drive and forced a punt.

The Aggies took to the air on their drive, picking up gains of 58 and 73 yards on their way to another touchdown, a 20-yard pass from Allen to Jeremy Tabuyo. With the score, Texas A&M incresed its lead to 42-3 with 9:13 remaining in the half.

Texas A&M brought in its 3rd-string quarterback Kyler Murray later in the quarter, who finished 5-9 for 44 yards and a touchdown. The Aggies extended their lead to 49-3 with 1:39 left in the period.

The Cardinals put in freshman Riley Neal at quarterback. He had a couple completions before the clock ran out to end the half.

Ball State will receive the second half kickoff.

First Quarter

To begin the game, the Cardinals attempted to catch the Aggies off guard by opening with an onside kickoff attempt. Texas A&M recovered and went 62 yards in eight plays, capped off by a 1-yard touchdown to make it 7-0.

Ball State responded, as Darian Green had two long carries to put the Cardinals in enemy territory. Freshman Morgan Hagee converted on a 21-yard field goal to make the score 7-3 with 9:59 remaining.

After a trick play went for 28 yards, Kyle Allen threw a fade to the back of the end zone to increase the lead 14-3. The Cardinals were forced to punt on their ensuing possession.

A questionable call that was ruled an incompletion rather than a fumble began the Aggies' drive. A 33-yard touchdown run extended the lead to 21-3 with 5:06 left in the quarter.

The Cardinals' next drive looked hopeful after a botched kick started them off at the 35-yard line, but Jack Milas threw a pick-six that put the Aggies up 28-3 with 3:45 remaining in the first quarter.

Both teams would trade three-and-outs to end the first quarter.