Team effort pushes Ball State past IPFW

Fifth year senior middle blocker Kelly Hopkins attempts to hit the ball over the net in the second game of the Active Ankle Tournament against Belmont on Aug. 28 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State team statistics vs. IPFW

Kills - 69

Attacks - 195

Hitting percentage - .195

Assists - 68

Service aces - 5

Blocks - 10

Digs - 94

After winning the first two sets, the Mastodons changed their serving strategy and forced the match into five sets. The Cardinals held on, however, and won the match 3-2 against their rivals on Sept. 16 at Worthen Arena.

Ball State head coach Steve Shondell said his players left it all out on the court.

"Every player on the court played their part like they needed to and stepped up in every aspect," Shondell said. "It was the best set I've seen us play this year and great to see going into a tournament."

Ball State won the first two sets in tightly-contested fashion, 25-20 and 27-20.

From there, momentum changed hands to the other sideline. IPFW began utilizing a short serve that caught Ball State off guard, and won the third set 25-11.

"It was a great coaching move that really took us out of the match there until the fifth set." Shondell said.

The Cardinals pushed the Mastodons to overtime in a 27-25 set four loss, setting up a fifth and final decisive set. When the two teams switched sides in the fifth set, Ball State held a tight 8-7 lead.

From there, Ball State recaptured the momentum and shut down IPFW. A Kelly Hopkins kills put a period on the 15-9 set win and 3-2 match victory.

Hopkins finished the match with 11 kills. She was one of four players with double digit kills, led by Mackenzie Kitchel with 13 in her fourth match back from injury.

"It was my first home game back and I just missed playing here so much," Kitchel said. "I wanted to get this win as bad as the rest of the team and I'm glad I could help."

Freshmen Ellie Dunn and Brooklyn Goodsel added 12 kills each for the Cardinals. Senior Alex Fuelling, the team's leading attacker, is currently out with an injury. 

"We have been doing our best to fill the gaps that she has left behind because she was such a big part being an all-around player," Shondell said. "So far the players have stepped up and been able to produce in her absence."

The Cardinals improve to 6-5 on the season with the win, and sit second in the Mid-American Conference West Division behind Eastern Michigan.

Ball State will compete in the Purdue Boiler Box Challenge beginning on Sept. 18 to close its non-conference schedule. The Cardinals will begin the tournament against Notre Dame (4-5).