Wiggins serving as catalyst of improving defense

<p>Linebacker Sean Wiggins is leading the Ball State football team with 23 tackles so far this season. Wiggins had two picks in the second half in the game against Eastern Michigan on Sept. 19. <em>DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

Linebacker Sean Wiggins is leading the Ball State football team with 23 tackles so far this season. Wiggins had two picks in the second half in the game against Eastern Michigan on Sept. 19. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Sean Wiggins - 2015 statistics

Games played - 3

Total tackles - 23

Tackles for loss - 1

Sacks - 1

Interceptions - 2

Pass breakups - 1

In the second half of its road victory against Eastern Michigan, the Cardinals pitched a shutout. It was the first time this happened since Oct. 25, 2014, when the Ball State defense blanked Akron in the second half of a 35-21 victory.

Despite up-and-down play from the defense this year, linebacker Sean Wiggins has been the catalyst of the Cardinals' group.

“Over the summer, in training camp, the coaches really had us working hard on getting to the ball,” Wiggins said. “We’re just going hard, we’re competing hard and going after the ball.”

Wiggins' ball-hawking nature has given him the Ball State lead with 23 tackles. He also has the team's only two interceptions.

Last season, Wiggins was a rotational player for the Cardinals. He moved around from the linebacker position and helped out in the secondary as well. Even with only two starts, Wiggins was eighth on the team in tackles (48), second among linebackers behind Ben Ingle.

The 6-foot-3, 228 lb. junior attests his early season success to the offseason, and head coach Pete Lembo said working hard with weights has made him a more well-rounded athlete.

“He’s embraced the weight room, I think that’s helped him,” Lembo said. “He’s bending a little bit better, he’s covering a little bit more ground and he’s a little bit more experienced. That’s a good combination.”

Wiggins' instincts have also improved from the linebacker position. 

His two picks in the second half versus Eastern Michigan stopped any chance of an Eagle comeback, leading to a 28-17 Cardinal victory.

“Basically just being in the right place at the right time,” Wiggins said of his picks.

It was all in the coaching by defensive coordinator Kevin Kelly, as well as Wiggins following the route to some big defensive plays.

“I didn’t run the wheel [route], when I was supposed to,” Wiggins said. “Coach [Kelly] got on me for it, and then I ran the wheel the next three times.”

As a leader for the Ball State defense, Wiggins said they can't let big plays get to them.

The team will have its hands full on the road against No.17 Northwestern this week. The Wildcats are averaging over 250 yards per game on the ground this season.

The defense will look to keep improving as it seeks an upset in Evanston, Ill. on Sept. 26.

“Don’t let the big plays get to you, because every team is good," Wiggins said. "Every team has a good athlete, that’s why everybody is D-1. So when somebody makes a big play, all you gotta do is just let it go and get them the next time.”