Sexual assault prevention campaign expands efforts with week of events

<p>PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE</p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE

Events

What: Tim Mousseau: “Retaking Our Story: Reframing the Sexual Assault Conversation” 

Mousseau, a victim of sexual assault, will share his story with the audience.

When:  Monday, August 31, 7 p.m.

Where: Pruis Hall

What: Bystander Intervention Training 

The Office of Victim Services will train students on what to do as a bystander.

When: Tuesday, September 1,  6-8 p.m.

Where: Bracken Library, Schwartz Digital Viewing room

What: Sexual Assault Panel

Various experts on sexual assault awareness will be at the panel to answer questions and provide information.

When: Wednesday, September 2, 7:30 p.m.

Where: Pruis Hall

What: Step In. Speak Up pledge day 

Students will have the opportunity to sign a pledge to step in and speak up in situations of sexual assault.

Where: Art and Journalism Building, Atrium, Student Center Tally, Scramble Light, David Letterman Building lobby and Scheumann Stadium, next to the Rewards table (6-7 p.m.)

When: Thursday, September 3rd. 10 a.m.– 2 p.m.

Last semester, many Ball State students took a pledge to intervene in the event of sexual assault. But this year, the committee behind Step In. Speak Up. is expanding its efforts with its first week devoted to sexual assault prevention. 

Step In. Speak Up. is a localization of “It’s On Us,” a national sexual assault campaign created by the White House that encourages everyone to be a responsible bystander in situations of sexual assault. People are asked to commit to this mission by signing a pledge.

Students will have the opportunity to participate in one event per day from Aug. 31 through Sept. 4

The week starts with a talk from Tim Mousseau, a traveling speaker who will share his experience with sexual assault.

Bailey Loughlin, a junior majoring in hospitality and food management and chair of the Step In. Speak Up. committee, said Mousseau’s speech is the event she’s most excited about.

“Sexual assault is a conversation that is usually dominated by females,” she said.

Three other events will follow Mousseau’s, including bystander intervention training, a panel and another pledge day.

The events are more evolved and interactive than Step In. Speak Up.’s previous efforts. 

Besides the pledge, Step In. Speak Up. released a phone application last semester that provided students with resources on how to deal with situations of sexual assault. 

Alexi Cole, a junior child life and family studies major, has involved herself with every Step In. Speak Up. initiative that's been available to her so far. 

“I liked the idea of bystanders being more accountable,” she said. “I believe that the Step In. Speak Up. pledge opened up a conversation on sexual assault awareness.”

She downloaded the app, although she said she wishes it was more active.

Loughlin is all about making Step In. Speak Up.  active. 

Right now, she said the campaign’s biggest problem is “getting the information out there and having students willing to receive it.”

She and the rest of the committee are working on turning the campaign into a student organization, as well as making it an educational resource for other student organizations.