Three men's basketball games to see in 2015-16

Members of the men's basketball team prepare huddle up before the game against Bowling Green on Feb. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Cardinals will open the non-conference schedule on Nov. 16 at Bradley, and their first MAC game will come on Jan. 6 at home versus Toledo.

“The MAC schedule is once again very competitive and will provide challenges throughout,” Ball State coach James Whitford said in a statement. “Our league has made great strides in the past few years, and this year should be another strong one, especially in the MAC West. We are excited for the season ahead.”

Here are three games to watch for this season:

Nov. 28 vs. Valparaiso

The Cardinals welcome the Crusaders to Worthen Arena as part of its home slate. Valparaiso finished 28-6 last season, and represented the Horizon League in the NCAA Tournament before suffering a close loss to No. 4 seed Maryland. Ball State traveled to Valparaiso last season, where it suffered a 65-62 loss. The Cardinals' last win in the series came in the 2009-10 season.

Dec. 22 at Indiana State

Ball State continues its ongoing rivalry with Indiana State as it travels to Terre Haute. The Cardinals defeated the Sycamores 70-63 last season on their way to a 7-7 start to the season. Last season's win was Ball State's first in the series since the 2010-11 season when it finished 19-13. Head coach James Whitford is excited to continue rivalries with in-state opponents.

Feb. 6 vs. Western Michigan

Two games, two losses for Ball State against Western Michigan last season. The Cardinals lost by a combined seven points, however. The Broncos won the first meeting in dramatic fashion — a tip-in at the buzzer of double-overtime to capture a 95-93 victory. In the second meeting, Ball State fell 53-48 at Worthen Arena. If last season was any indication, Ball State and Western Michigan are in for two more close games this season.