Ball State maximizes special teams skills with different kickers

Redshirt sophomore punter Kyle Schmidt punts the ball during the game against Akron on Oct. 25 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State - Depth Chart

Place kicker - Morgan Hagee

Punter - Kyle Schmidt

Kickoff specialist - Steve Drida

Long-snapper - Nick Traub

Holder - Jack Milas

Coming into the season, the Ball State football team had a void to fill on fourth down. 

Former kicker Scott Secor graduated last year leaving a hole that had been secured for the past two seasons.

While it is impossible to replace the reigning Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Year, the Ball State coaches plan on using a different kicker in each kicking situation to maximize each player's skill set.

“One of the things we preach is that we want everybody to have a role to play,” head coach Pete Lembo said. “It's good to see that our specialists are doing that.”

Junior Kyle Schmidt returns as the team's starting punter this season. Along with Secor, the pair made a formidable duo on fourth downs last season.

Freshman Morgan Hagee is listed as the Cardinals' starting place kicker on the depth chart. Lembo said Hagee has a "slight edge" over redhirt junior Alex Egan.

Redshirt sophomore Steve Drida will handle the majority of the kick-off responsibilities.

While many of the Cardinals are practicing with their hands in the dirt, the kickers have the luxury of lighter practice work with an increased focus on precision.

“We're always monitoring how many kicks they're kicking ... so they're fresh throughout the season,” special teams coach Justin Lustig said.

A typical practice for kickers on Ball State's roster includes a set number of kicks followed by some reps in the gym. To reduce the strain these kickers endure, the Cardinals rotate through kicking scenarios during practice. 

Sure, the physical part of the game is important. But for Schmidt and his special teams counterparts, the mental game is crucial.

“Most of kicking is mental,” Schmidt said. “You gotta put that bad shank behind you, focus on your next [kick] and stick to the mechanics.”

It takes just one error to turn a friendly home crowd into a hostile one. Although it's a stressful situation, Lembo is pleased to have kickers specializing in different areas.

Ball State will put its special teams unit to the test in the season opener when it hosts Virginia Military Institute on 7 p.m. Sept. 3.