Wenning excited, relieved for chance with hometown Cincinnati Bengals

<p>Former Ball State quarterback Keith Wenning signed with the Cicinnati Bengals on June 24 as their fourth quarterback. Wenning was originally drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2014, but was let go in May. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALTIMORE RAVENS/SHAWN HUBBARD</em></p>

Former Ball State quarterback Keith Wenning signed with the Cicinnati Bengals on June 24 as their fourth quarterback. Wenning was originally drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2014, but was let go in May. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALTIMORE RAVENS/SHAWN HUBBARD

Keith Wenning - Career Ball State statistics

Games - 49

*Completions-Attempts - 1035-1642

*Passing yards - 11,402

*Touchdowns - 92

Interceptions - 42

Completion percentage - 63.0

Average yards per game - 232.7

* Denotes Ball State career record

Keith Wenning grew up watching the Cincinnati Bengals as a kid in Coldwater, Ohio. Now he'll have a chance to play for them.

Wenning was signed to the Bengals on June 24 as their fourth quarterback. He was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens in 2014.

In a state split between fandom of the Bengals and Cleveland Browns, Wenning hasn't forgotten where he came from.

“It was exciting and relieving," Wenning said. "Just to be back in your home state with a team that, when I was young, that’s all I used to watch were the Browns or the Bengals. It’s an awesome feeling, and it’s exciting for my family as well.”

As an up-and-coming quarterback in Coldwater, Wenning remembers watching the Carson Palmer era in Cincinnati.

It was after a 49-4 high school career filled with accolades, a record-breaking college campaign at Ball State and two cuts in the NFL later that he got to work out with Palmer in the offseason in San Diego.

Wenning has been around some big names in his short time in the NFL. He served under Baltimore's Joe Flacco for over a season. His quarterback coach from last season, Gary Kubiak, is now the head coach of the Denver Broncos.

Now, he'll have the chance to learn from another young signal-caller that's had success early in his career.

“I’m excited and interested to see [Andy Dalton’s] approach to the game," Wenning said. "Being around Joe for a whole year, trying to figure out how he attacks the game each week — how he gameplans, how he goes after it — I’m interested to see how Andy does it.”

Wenning has come a long way to get to the Bengals. He worked out for the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions, and he spent mini-camp with the Atlanta Falcons. 

But the NFL isn't just a game. It's a business, too.

He didn't sign with the Colts, Lions or Falcons because the timing wasn't right. Those teams couldn't afford to make the necessary transactions to sign him. With the salary cap and the number of roster spots, all "pieces of the puzzle" have to fit together.

“It’s tough, and you don’t ever expect it," Wenning said. "It happens every day. A guy will be in the locker next to you, and the next day he won’t be there.”

Wenning said his work ethic led him to the Bengals. Cindy Wenning, Keith's mother, said he's never hesitated to do a little extra with receivers or learn the playbook. He learned patience at Ball State.

He travels back to Muncie often to work out with his former coaches and some teammates. Keith is used to the system and feels he can come and go as he pleases. 

Ball State strength coach David Feeley said it's a complete compliment to have a high-character guy like Keith around the players.

“He’s got ‘it,’" Feeley said. "Whatever ‘it’ is, he has all of it. Any team would love to have him, and the Bengals will enjoy him. I’m sure of it." 

Keith's family is relishing the signing also.

When he was a member of the Ravens, Keith's parents saw him on a somewhat regular basis. They traveled to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Baltimore to watch their son in the professional ranks. They even have NFL Network for when they can't attend his games.

Mike Wenning said it's awesome to see his son in close proximity to their home. It will save travel time and allow them to watch more often.

“Apparently, someone on the Bengals saw him somewhere and now also wants to give him a chance," Cindy Wenning said. "It kind of reminds me of Ball State back when [former] coach Stan Parrish saw something in his film and he also wanted to give Keith a chance. And that worked out really well.”

In a league full of opportunities, Keith is working to find an approach to the game that works for him.

The Bengals want Keith to work on his footwork and becoming an overall better young quarterback. Talent gets drafted in the NFL, but won't carry a career alone.

“Whatever [the best] is I’m not sure, but I feel like you can strive to be great," Keith said. "And whether that’s third-string quarterback, second-string quarterback or someday first-string quarterback, who knows. But I feel like you have to strive to be the best you can be.”

Cindy said the family has received many well-wishes and backing from the community, saying they will follow him while he's in Cincinnati.

Playing for the Bengals will ensure that his hometown won't forget about him anytime soon, either.

“We’ve enjoyed going to some Bengals games in our lifetime, but now we’re really going to enjoy them,” Cindy said.