NCAA men's basketball overall attendance increases in 2014-15, Ball State attendance decreases

Waving flags at the beginning of the basketball game, members of the cheerleading team try to get the crowd excited during the start of the basketball game. Ball State University played Bowling Green on Saturday, Feb. 14. DN PHOTO Jason Conerly

Ball State attendance

Home games - 15

Overall attendance - 42,087

Average per game - 2,806

This season marked the eighth-highest attendance in NCAA history.

“NCAA Division I games were attended by over 27 million fans for the ninth consecutive year, and March Madness was experienced by the third highest fan attendance in history for the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship," Dan Gavitt, NCAA vice president for men’s basketball championships, said in a statement.

The average home attendance for Division I teams was 4,754 per contest. Ball State finished below the national average, drawing 2,806 fans per home game.

According to ballstatesports.com, The Cardinals attendance dropped from a 3,066 average in 2013-14.

The Mid-American Conference finished 13th among all leagues in the NCAA. With its 12 teams, the MAC finished with a 2015 attendance of 568,353 and an average of 2,885 per game. This is a slight increase from last season's average.

The MAC Tournament saw an average of 3,038 through eight sessions.

The Big Ten Conference had the highest attendance among all leagues. Indiana University finished eighth in the nation in attendance, while Purdue University finished 32nd.

Syracuse University had the highest average attendance of any Division I school.

Ohio was the lone MAC school in the top 100 for average attendance. Central Michigan was one of the biggest movers this season, gaining over 1,000 fans per game from last year.

With the recent changes to the men's game, the NCAA is looking to increase excitement to the game and attract even more fans.

“NCAA college basketball attendance remains remarkably consistent across the country and all three NCAA divisions, as fans and alumni support their favorite teams from the largest arenas to the smallest gyms,” Gavitt said.