Board of Trustees votes unanimously to approve health professions building

<p><strong>Construction</strong> of the new Charles W. Brown Planetarium is projected to finish by Oct. 1. The addition to the Cooper Science Complex will have its projection equipment installed, which costs the university about $2.5 million to $3 million. The old facility was open for 46 years for 400,000 visitors, according to Ball State. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

Construction of the new Charles W. Brown Planetarium is projected to finish by Oct. 1. The addition to the Cooper Science Complex will have its projection equipment installed, which costs the university about $2.5 million to $3 million. The old facility was open for 46 years for 400,000 visitors, according to Ball State. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Other items that were approved by the Board of Trustees include: 

• $1.8 million financial aid increase
  • a revision of Ball State's Memorandum of Understanding to include collaboration with the Alumni Association
  • a 2 percent increase of salary to all Ball State employees
  • May graduates including: 38 doctoral and specialty degrees, 532 master's degrees, 21 associates degrees and over 2,000 undergraduate degrees
  • Equal Representation Committee agreement, also approved by union members in a 49-4 vote

According to a press release, the building will cost about $62.5 million.

There are three possible locations the board is looking at for the new building, but the location will not be decided until an architect is chosen.

Cooper Science Complex currently houses the departments of chemistry, physics/astronomy, biology, geography, physiology/health science and nursing. It is undecided if Cooper will be renovated or replaced once the new health professions building is built.

The new building would have about 150,000 square feet of space that would include classrooms, offices, laboratories, simulation labs and clinical spaces, according to a press release.

“The new facility would not only provide additional space for growth in these high-demand programs, but it also would foster collaboration between fields focused on patient care,” said Provost Terry King in a press release. “Currently, the various programs are spread across campus. Concentration of the related clinical spaces will strengthen both the academic training and community outreach programs offered.”

The approval comes after the announcement of a new College of Health Sciences to be added to the university. Summer 2016 is the earliest construction will begin on the building to house the college.