Ball State hires new track & field/cross country head coach

Brian Etelman - Coaching stops

Ball State

Miami University

Central Missouri (graduate assistant)

Georgia (volunteer assistant)

Ball State athletic director Mark Sandy has named Brian Etelman the new head coach of the Cardinals' track & field and cross country programs.

Etelman has served the last four seasons at Miami University, and was a two-time All-American at Georgia.

"Probably the most important thing is having the opportunity to build something that everybody can be proud of," Etelman said. "I'm very aware of where we are from a competitive standpoint, and that was actually one of the biggest thrills in the whole process."

Ball State finished 12th of 12 teams at the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships last season in track & field. The Cardinals also finished last in the conference in cross country.

Etelman helped Miami win seven MAC event championships during his tenure. The Redhawks swept the league's relay events in the 2013 championships.

Due to his time in the MAC, Etelman is very familiar with what Ball State brings to the table.

"I've got to see a lot of the current athletes compete firsthand," Etelman said. "What I'm looking forward to do is take every kid, regardless of where they are competitively, and get them better right away. Everybody we have on the roster matters."

Etelman graduated from Georgia in 2007. He ran in different relays and owns Georgia's second-fastest time in program history in the 4x400m relay.

He served for the Bulldogs' staff as a volunteer assistant in 2008-09 before working as a graduate assistant coach at Central Missouri for a season. His athletes have had success in hurdles, sprints and relays at every stop in his career.

Etelman's primary goal at Ball State is to make the program a contender in the MAC, the regionals and at the NCAA level.

"If this was a bad job, I wouldn't have taken it," Etelman said. "I know how good we can be and it's really what I'm most excited about - and knowing that the future is going to hold a lot of success for us."