Ball State eclipses average NCAA women's basketball attendance

Members of the crowd cheer on Ball State during the game against Purdue on Nov. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

MAC average attendance - Rankings

1. Toledo - 3,636
  2. Bowling Green - 1,926
  3. Ball State - 1,660
  4. Central Michigan - 1,484
  5. Buffalo - 1,296
  6. Ohio - 1,019
  7. Western Michigan - 801
  8. Akron - 771
  9. Kent State - 667
  10. Eastern Michigan - 603
  11. Northern Illinois - 572
  12. Miami (OH) - 352

Ball State was higher than the national average, as it brought in 1,660 patrons per contest through 15 home games. The Cardinals averaged 782 fans per home game in 2013-14, according to ballstatesports.com

“We’re pleased to see women’s basketball attendance continuing to rise as it indicates fan support for the sport and an allegiance to favorite NCAA college and university teams,” Anucha Browne, vice president of women’s basketball championships, said in a statement. “Fans continue to follow women’s basketball and the attendance figures indicate this past year was full of excitement during the team tournament runs as well as during the regular season.”

Ball State had the ninth largest average fan increase in the nation over the past year. It ranked third in the Mid-American Conference in average attendance. Toledo brought in 3,636 fans per game and Bowling Green averaged 1,926.

Toledo was the only school from the MAC in the top 50 overall, ranked 28th.

The MAC ranked 10th as a conference in attendance in 2014-15. With 12 teams, the league brought in a total of 216,214 fans and an average of 1,264 per game.

Increasing attendance is a major part of athletic director Mark Sandy's vision.

He is committed to improving the fan experience. Ball State took another step toward that this summer with a floor renovation and updated branding at Worthen Arena, where both the men's and women's basketball teams play.

"When you improve your facilities, you bring not only the new quality to the floor but how it will look — sort of an updated branding scheme on the floor. It helps the fans see improvement and it helps with recruiting," Sandy said in an earlier interview.