Muncie looking for 'adopters' as weeds take over median

Plants grow in wooden planter boxes at the urban garden on the corner of Main street and High street on Sept. 2. The garden has a number of vegetable plants and flowers. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

MUNCIE — The city of Muncie is looking for someone to take over responsibility for upkeep of a median designed to ensure safe passage for pedestrians and bicyclists and improve the appearance of a commercial strip.

The perennial plants on the McGalliard Road island have been overtaken by weeds after the landscape company that had maintained the site for more than a decade stopped doing so due to what one official calls a "miscommunication."

Angie Pool, CEO of Cardinal Greenways, told The Star Press that the company that had donated its services to maintain the island had decided to stop doing so. She said the site is now available for another person or group to take over.

Jason Brooks, owner of Jay Crew Landscape, which had tended the median for 10 to 15 years, said the company no longer was sure whom it was working for.

"On our volunteer work, we like to be in a relationship where we know the parties," Brooks said. "We really don't know the people connected to that bed. I'm disappointed to see it let go like that. We kept that bed in good shape for years."

He said the median, which allows trail users to cross one direction of traffic at a time on the five-lane road, is difficult to maintain because of its location and safety concerns.

"The best you can do is park your truck in the median with the flashers on, put out the cones and wear safety vests," Brooks said.

Members of Muncie-Delaware Clean and Beautiful say they hope to find a volunteer group to take over the median. Board member Jason Donati said such sites can serve as "morale boosters."

"You don't want eyesores to be your first impression of Muncie," Donati said. "It's the same with litter. When you're visiting Muncie and you look over and see an area beautified with businesses and volunteers pitching in, it makes a good impression.

"I think it's uplifting for the community and it makes me feel more connected to know you're not alone in this, that there are a bunch of people passionate about keeping our city clean and beautiful."