NPHC Emphasizes Diversity at BSU

National Pan-Hellenic Council looks to join IFC and PHC while reflecting on its history

Simple, yet illuminating, these are the main aspects of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). A national, historically African-American organization, it represents several fraternities and sororities, known as the Divine 9.

The Divine 9 is split into four sororities and five fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.

The only two organizations that have discontinued their charter on Ball State’s campus are Omega Psi Phi and Delta Sigma Theta.

Ball State junior Christa Hammond is the president of Alpha Kappa Alpha, one of the many active chapters of the Divine 9, and has been since fall 2014.

“I believe our organization does two things: we uplift people and we are motivators,” Hammond said. “We’re always doing events for girls. No matter how cliché it is, you’re going to get how much you put out.”

Continue reading at BallBearingsMag.com Also, follow us on Twitter @ballbearings