Trey Moses goes viral after asking best friend to prom

<p>Trey Moses, a Ball State men’s basketball signee, met Ellie Meredith at Eastern High School in Kentucky through a peer tutoring program and spends gym class with her. Moses presented the poster board to Ellie in front of their gym class. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER</em></p>

Trey Moses, a Ball State men’s basketball signee, met Ellie Meredith at Eastern High School in Kentucky through a peer tutoring program and spends gym class with her. Moses presented the poster board to Ellie in front of their gym class. PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER

In asking Ellie Meredith to his senior prom, Ball State men's basketball signee Trey Moses has created a buzz on social media and with news outlets across the country. But he wasn't looking for any attention.

The 6-foot-9 Eastern High School basketball star talked to Meredith's parents before making the proposal. He didn't want Meredith, who has Down Syndrome, to receive any publicity she didn't want.

That's what has impressed Ball State men's basketball head coach James Whitford the most: Moses didn't ask Meredith to prom because it would make good headlines, he said. During the recruiting process, Whitford and his staff learned about Moses' passion for working with special needs students.

"We originally watched him play and evaluated him on his talent, not who he is as a person," Whitford said. "As we started to research him as a person, we found that he has the character to bring out the best in those around him.

"The best thing about Trey, is that this is not a one-time thing," Whitford said.