Home Runs lead Ball State to win in 2nd game

Senior outfielder Hanne Stuedemann prepares to hit the ball during the second game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Ball State Home Run Leaders

Dabkowski - 11

Stuedemann - 7

Reyna - 6

Craft - 5

Senior Hanne Stuedemann got the scoring going in the first inning with a three-run homer to give the Cardinals an early 3-0 lead.

It was Stuedemann's seventh home run of the season.

Western Michigan added two runs in the third to cut the lead to one, but Ball State answered with a solo home run by junior Emily Dabkowski, her 11th of the year.

The Broncos' bats didn't slow down, as they scored another two runs in the top of the fourth to tie the game at 4-4.

In the bottom of the fourth, however, junior Sammi Cowger hit a solo shot that would be the game-winner.

Ball State held Western Michigan for the next three innings on defense. The Broncos finished 6-22 with runners on base.

"There was great communication out on the field; you could hear a lot of chatter and everyone really doing their best," head coach Tyra Perry said.

On the mound, Ball State threw two pitchers in the game, with Carolyn Wilmes getting the start. 

Wilmes pitched three-and-two-thirds innings, allowing nine hits and four runs while recording two strikeouts.

Junior Kelsey Schifferdecker relieved Wilmes for the final innings, allowing just three hits and no runs. Schifferdecker was credited with the win, her first on the year.

"She has a great personality and just been working really hard coming back from something some people would not be able to return from," Perry said. "She has been a leader on and off the field and a big asset to us."

With the sweep, Ball State improved to 23-20 on the season and 9-2 in the Mid-American Conference, putting them atop the conference.

The Cardinals will return to the field for another home doubleheader on April 18 against Northern Illinois (21-17;5-3 MAC). The first game begins at 1 p.m.