Ball State falls to Northern Illinois in 9 innings

Members of the Ball State softball team cheer during the second game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Team Statistics

Stat:                      Runs      Hits      Errors

Northern Illinois       4            8            1

Ball State                 2            5            2

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Errors
Northern Illinois
4
8
1
Ball State
2
5
2

The Cardinals celebrated seniors Loren Cihlar, Jessica Craft and Hanne Stuedemann on Senior Day.

"It was disappointing because you know they want to win for the seniors and they came off two great performances Friday, but it happens and we have to move on," head coach Tyra Perry said.

The Cardinals struck first in the bottom of the second with a sacrifice fly from sophomore Shelbie Scamihorn, scoring Stuedemann from third.

Northern Illinois tied it in the top of the third with an RBI double.

After the Huskies took a 2-1 lead in the fifth, sophomore Hayley Cruthers hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game.

After two scoreless innings, the Huskies scored two runs on two errors in the ninth to take a 4-2 lead that would hold for the win. 

"We had some issues in the game, but we know we have to move on to the next game and try to use this as motivation like we have in the past," Studemann said.

Ball State's offense mustered five singles on the day. Cihlar led the offense with two hits, while the other three singles were split between Stuedemann, junior Sammi Cowger and freshman Julia Bailey. 

Junior Nicole Steinbach pitched her fifth consecutive complete game, giving up four runs on nine hits. She struck out seven batters while suffering her 11th loss of the season.

The loss drops the Cardinals to 23-21 on the season and 9-3 in the Mid-American Conference.

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Errors
Northern Illinois
4
8
1
Ball State
2
5
2