Student Government Association elects president pro tempore

<p>Rachel Johnson</p>

Rachel Johnson

Rachel Johnson

The Student Government Association elected Rachel Johnson, a junior social work major, as president pro tempore.

“This means I get to do a job that I love, and I get to work with people who I think are fantastic,” she said. “I get to represent students who are some of the greatest students on campus.”

Johnson said she wants to build senator relationships, which is what she spoke about during her presentation to the senate.

“I am so excited to continue with student government and represent the students, because I love them; they’re great,” Johnson said.

She will join the Atlas slate in the executive office for the 2015-16 academic year. The president pro tempore will receive a stipend equal to two-thirds of in-state tuition, which is nearly $6,000.

Richu Aby, vice president of Atlas, said she is happy to have Johnson on board.

“She is well organized and is most driven to an end goal, which is what I really like to see,” Aby said.

President of Atlas Jack Hesser, who has served as pro tempore before, said Johnson will do an excellent job in this position.

“She is committed to what she wants to do and knows what she wants to do,” Hesser said. “She is aware of all the different aspects of the different committees she is going to serve.”

The pro tempore is responsible for the orientation of new senators and directing legislation passed by the Student Senate to the University Senate, among other responsibilities, according to senate bylaws.