Boredom outbreak: 7 ways to pass time in the health center

The Amelia T. Wood Health Center features a new check-in system this semester. The system is made up of a freestanding computer that gathers the student’s information and then transmits it to the staff to prioritize the waiting room. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Waiting in the Student Health Center can create mass cases of boredom. Next time a visit is inevitable, try these activities that don't involve wasting time on Twitter or Instagram to pass the time in the waiting room.

1
Read

Some college students justify their lack of reading with the excuse of not having free time. In the health center waiting room, patrons have nothing but free time. Crack open a good book and let the characters take over. The wait will be over soon.

2
Do homework

With Wi-Fi throughout the whole campus, logging onto Blackboard should not be a problem. Catch up on homework assignments that may have been missed due to a sickness.

3
Invest in a puzzle book

Before the Internet and iPhone apps, people played games in books. Purchase a crossword, word search or Sudoku book and create a challenge by seeing how many puzzles can be completed before being called back for an appointment.

4
Play a game

Propose a game to play with other students waiting to be examined. A great game to involve others is Ellen DeGeneres’s Heads Up! cellphone app. Like Headbanz, Heads Up! involves holding up cards, or in this case a cellphone, to the head and having to guess what the word is while other players give out clues. This game can end in laughter, which leads to bonding with fellow waiters.

5
Plan ahead

Rather than sitting mindlessly, create a to-do list for the rest of the day. Making a list will increase productivity, if escaping from the health center ever happens.

6
Bring a sketchbook

Make a drawing game. Try to draw portraits of other people in the waiting room without them knowing. If other people are up for it, maybe start a game of Pictionary.

7
Check out what’s happening on campus

Read about what is going on around the Muncie and Ball State communities by checking local news websites.