President Ferguson talks racial sensitivity, social media at SGA forum

<p>President Paul Ferguson, along with Kay Bales, vice president for student affairs and dean of students, sent an email to students Wednesday about the controversy with the John R. Emens Outstanding Senior Award. They announced there will be a workshop next Tuesday, March 31, in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Rooms 301-301 from 5-6:30 p.m. and 7-8:30 p.m. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

President Paul Ferguson, along with Kay Bales, vice president for student affairs and dean of students, sent an email to students Wednesday about the controversy with the John R. Emens Outstanding Senior Award. They announced there will be a workshop next Tuesday, March 31, in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Rooms 301-301 from 5-6:30 p.m. and 7-8:30 p.m. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State President Paul Ferguson talked diversity and social media with more than 150 people at the Student Government Association's student forum today.

“It was cool seeing Cardinal Hall A and B filled with students, administrators and a full senate,” Vice President Bryan Kubel said.

The president answered questions for nearly an hour on topics ranging from race to social media.

“Everyone was engaged in the conversation, and people had a great variety of questions,” Kubel said.

One student asked how the university plans to deal with issues of racial sensitivity on campus in light of the recent controversy over the selection of the John R. Emens Outstanding Senior Award.

“I appreciate so much conversation, and I regret so much angst,” Ferguson said. "I think we really want to get the conversation about when you make the statement of racial insensitivity on campus, that's a very important conversation to have. If many of our students are feeling that, I need to hear that."

He said he plans on creating a campus diversity workshop March 31 to hear more about the issues and concerns.

“Let’s not have the conversation only on social media or in the hallways, let’s talk about it,” he said.

While he isn't currently on social media, Ferguson said he has plans to start a presence on Twitter and Instagram later this year.

He previously tried Twitter when he was president at the University of Maine. He had a public relation representative tweet for him once a week.

“I had two students come up to me and say, ‘We really like you, but who is writing your tweets? They're lousy,’” he said.

Jared Huppenthal, SGA deputy chief of staff, said he was down-to-earth.

“I give him accolades on his ability to present himself in a professional matter and yet still showing that he wanted to connect with us,” Huppenthal said.