Ball State prepares for postseason WNIT

Head coach Brady Sallee reaches to a play that was called during the game against Purdue on Nov. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Mid-American Conference teams in WNIT

Ball State

Akron

Buffalo

Eastern Michigan

Toledo

Western Michigan

The Ball State women's basketball team is preparing for a first-round game with Middle Tennessee in the Women's National Invitation Tournament, its third straight appearance. 

Unlike the Mid-American Conference Tournament where the Cardinals found out their opponent a day before, they have been focused on this matchup since Monday night.

"We feel a lot less stressed since we knew we would be playing in the tournament and not having to sit and wait," head coach Brady Sallee said. "It felt good knowing we got in on the hard work we did for the season and showed how much that paid off."

Middle Tennessee enters the WNIT as Conference USA's automatic qualifier with a record of 21-9 (14-4). It will be the first meeting between the teams in Ball State history.

Ball State took on two other Conference USA opponents this season, as it defeated Charlotte on Dec. 15 and fell to Western Kentucky less than a week later. 

The Cardinals then began MAC play on Jan. 7 and have not played a non-conference opponent since.

"It's been awhile since we have played someone out of the MAC, so we are definitely excited to face [teams] outside of the conference," Sallee said.

Although Ball State is eager to battle with a team outside of the MAC, a rematch with one of its conference rivals is not out of the question. Akron, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Toledo and Western Michigan also earned spots in the 64-team field.

Ball State finished a combined 5-3 against those teams in the regular season, including a 1-1 record against Western Michigan who the Cardinals could meet in the second round.

"We know they have the same mindset as we do in the tournament," Sallee said. "We just have to go out and focus and beat whoever our opponent is on the court."

Ball State has also fared well on the road as of late, winning five of its last six. However, Sallee said it won't be easy and will stand as one of the biggest challenges.

The Cardinals will have to travel after every game, and the next round will begin a short time after the previous one.

Last season, Ball State fell on the road to Northwestern in the first round. Two season ago, however, the Cardinals advanced to the Final 16. They will look to repeat 2013's success in this year's tournament.

"We have this feeling that we have been here before, and we are going to be as prepared as possible for whatever comes at us," Sallee said.