Ball State falls in MAC Tournament semifinals

Junior forward Nathalie Fontaine goes for a shot during the game against Eastern Michigan on Feb. 25 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO AMER KHUBRANI

Ball State Team Statistics

Field goal percentage - 42.4

3-point percentage - 31.8

Free-throw percentage - 88.9

Rebounds - 34

Assists - 18

Turnovers - 11

Steals - 7

Eastern Michigan, now on an eight-game win streak, grabbed a 12-point lead within the first 5 minutes.

The Cardinals cut it to five points with five minutes left in the first half, but the Eagles went on a run and regained a 15-point lead at the break.

The second half was not much different, as the Eagles jumped out to an 18-point lead. Eight points was as close as Ball State would get in the second half.

"We were getting absolutely whipped on the boards," head coach Brady Sallee said. "We gave them so many second chance opportunities that really killed us."

The Eagles out-rebounded the Cardinals 52-34 for the game.

The second best offensive rebounding team in the MAC, Eastern Michigan recorded 20 offensive rebounds compared to Ball State's five. This resulted in the Eagles scoring 19 points on second-chance opportunities.

"We have struggled all season with rebounding, and it really hurt us here," Sallee said.

Ball State shot 42 percent from field goal range. Junior Nathalie Fontaine led the offense with 22 points, her eighth game of the season with 20 or more.

Despite shooting 33 percent, Eastern Michigan attempted 69 field goals, ten more than Ball State. The Eagles also benefitted by making 19-of-28 from the free-throw line.

If top-seeded Ohio beats sixth seed Eastern Michigan in the MAC championship, Ball State automatically qualifies for the Women's National Invitation Tournament. If Eastern Michigan wins, the Cardinals would need an at-large bid.