Students solve murder mystery at Honors House

Assistant English professor Brett Blackwell plays Detective inspector Lestrade at the honors murder mystery party. 
DN PHOTO KELSEY DICKESON
Assistant English professor Brett Blackwell plays Detective inspector Lestrade at the honors murder mystery party. DN PHOTO KELSEY DICKESON

A tradition of murder:

The Student Honors Council has hosted a murder mystery for three years. This year, Valerie Weingart, a sophomore vocal performance and creative writing major, headed the writing committee. Here are the different themes the honors students have explored:

First year: Who murdered Dean Reubel?" Students played faculty members. 

Second year: Medieval. Faculty helped out students. 

It was a cold and windy night at the Ball Honors House Tuesday as groups of students filed up to its stately, red door only to be greeted with disturbing news: a murder had occurred on the university owned grounds.

At least that’s the premise Student Honors Council President Emily Brumfield devised for her Sherlock Holmes-themed murder mystery event.

The Student Honors Council planned the free event as a way to give back to Honors College faculty and students. Seven separate groups of sleuths walked through the house in twenty-minute increments, following clues and talking to volunteers playing the roles of Arthur Conan Doyle’s characters.

The mystery began with the sight of Hudson crying out Holmes’ name while standing next to a covered body.

John Watson, Mycroft Holmes, Hudson, Irene Adler, Professor Moriarty and Inspector Lestrade were all at the Ball Honors House at the time of the murder.

During the walkthrough, suspicions shifted from character to character. Professor Moriarty wanted to steal Holmes’ watch, Watson needed recognition for a book he wrote and Mycroft had a bone to pick with Holmes.

Just as Lestrade blamed Watson for the murder, Professor Moriarty descended the Ball House stairs.

“I’m Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty has been dead for several years,” he said.

Jenna Treiber, a senior history major, said the plot twist baffled her.

“The event was very brilliant. It required a lot of thinking outside the box and definitely had a surprise at the end,” she said.