Athletics to host first Social Media Night

The men's basketball team huddles up before the game against Kent State on Jan. 24 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Athletics is trying out something new this week, hosting its first #ChirpChirp Social Media Night for the men's basketball team when it hosts Buffalo on Feb. 4.

Social Media Night will host many events for students to enjoy before, during and after the game.

"Social Media Night is about engaging our fans and providing them with an exciting and fun environment for the game," said Kevin Thurman, head of student initiatives for Ball State athletics. "It will be a unique experience. We want to encourage our fans to connect and interact with us on our social media channels."

The game will have many promos via social media, such as the Megaphone Shuffle, the Pepsi Half Court Shot, the Hays & Sons Shootout, the Sport Clips Dance Off and the Ball State Federal Credit Union Shoot for Loot.

The PrimeTrust Prime Seat Contest consists of the game’s sponsor, PrimeTrust Federal Credit Union, giving away four of the best seats inside Worthen Arena, food vouchers and a parking pass, all via social media. 

Thurman said Social Media Night is all about getting fans more involved.

"We decided to do a social media night to have a fun way to engage with fans during a game," he said. "This is a great way for us to engage and connect with our fans, including our Ball State student community."

There will be opportunities for students and older fans alike to participate, such as through photos and choosing songs for the basketball pep band. There will also be chances to meet with Charlie Cardinal and win prize packs.

Many different prizes will be awarded during the game through social media from corporate partners, like Applebee’s, Burger King, Dillman’s and Firehouse Subs.

"We hope to create a fun, exciting environment around the game. We want to try something new to Ball State, as this has never been done here before," Thurman said. "We are pulling out all of the stops for this."