Ball State leaves 11 runners on base in loss to Kentucky

Freshman outfielder Alex Call runs to first base during the game against Eastern Michigan on April 5 at  Ball Diamond. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY
Freshman outfielder Alex Call runs to first base during the game against Eastern Michigan on April 5 at Ball Diamond. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Team Statistics

Hits - 11

Walks - 4

Strikeouts - 11

Left on base - 11

The Ball State baseball team fell left 11 runners on base in a 12-7 loss to Kentucky in its first game of the Buffalo Wild Wings Battle @ the Beach on Friday. 

The Cardinals put up five runs in the eighth inning in the loss.

Offensively, Ball State had 11 hits in the game. It was led by senior Elbert Deverie with three hits and two RBIs in five plate appearances. 

Third baseman Sean Kennedy and outfielder Alex Call added two hits apiece for the Cardinals. Call also batted two runs across the plate.

Senior Brandon Estep was 1-1 with an RBI and two walks in a pinch hit/designated hitter role.

Sophomore Zach Plesac started on the mound, pitching 3.2 innings while allowing four earned runs. The Wildcats scored eight total runs off Plesac while recording six hits. 

The Cardinals brought in four pitchers in relief to finish the game. Freshmen Trevor Henderson, Colin Brockhouse, Trevor Simon and Brendan Burns combined with junior Matt Haro to pitch the game's final 5.1 innings. 

Of Kentucky's 12 runs, only seven were earned.

The Cardinals will look to rebound when they return to action at 4 p.m. on Feb. 14, taking on tournament host UNC-Wilmington.