Ball State stays in MAC race after 3 straight road wins

Head coach Brady Sallee talks to his players during a timeout at the game against Western Michigan on Jan. 10 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State has since won four of five road conference games including its last three trips. 

"It's a good feeling when you can go into tough conference arenas and be able to win like we have," head coach Brady Sallee said.

The wins have come against some of the top MAC contenders, most recently a 69-61 win against Toledo. The Cardinals also earned a victory over Akron earlier in the season. 

Sallee feels the early-season road struggles help prepare his team.

"Sallee put us up against some hard teams on the road at the beginning of the year," junior Nathalie Fontaine said. "It really got us prepared to face any on the road once we got into the conference play."

Ball State's recent road success can also be attributed to how well its played in the first half. In every road win, the Cardinals have gone into halftime with a lead.

"It's just executing game plan," Sallee said. "We get that lead from playing like we draw it up."

Despite struggling of late at home, the road wins have kept Ball State afloat in the conference as they sit in second place in the MAC West Division with a 7-3 record.

"They were disappointing losses but we kept ourselves in position for the conference," Sallee said. "Now we just have to go out and try to win it."