Ball State falls on the road to Eastern Michigan

Junior Erin Patchey performs her routine during the floor exercise during the meet against Central Michigan on Jan. 23 at Irving Gymnasium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Top scorers 

Floor: Erin Patchey - 9.85

Vault: Denasiha Christian - 9.775

Bars: Kayla Beckler and Juliana Booth - 9.7

Beam: Kayla Beckler and Miranda Kuehl - 9.8

The Ball State gymnastics team lost its seventh meet of the season on Feb., falling 195.275-193.875 to Mid-American Conference foe Eastern Michigan.

Head coach Joanna Saleem said the team was consistent in its performances, something they have been talking about the whole season.

“We were overall consistent and we’re going out and competing," Saleem said. "But now need to switch our focus to making sure all the details are there and we don’t give away wins, losing two or three tenths on each event,”

Despite the effort from the Cardinals, Saleem said little mistakes and focus can hurt the team, and that it's difficult to compare falls with events that were good.

Ball State's highest scoring event of the day was on the floor. Junior Erin Patchey was the top scorer for floor with a 9.85.

“She had a stellar performance … looking really polished and doing a great job having fun and bringing the crowd into the routine,” Saleem said.

Sophomores Kayla Beckler and Miranda Kuehl were the top scorers for the Cardinals on beam with a 9.8. 

Beckler and sophomore Juliana Booth were the team's top scorers on bars, while junior Denasiha Christian was the Cardinals' top scorer on vault.

Saleem said overall as team they need to get into the gym and shift gears.

“Now we know how to compete, but we want to go out there and be consistent regardless of what’s happening around us,” she said. “Now we have to do it at a little bit higher level and make sure … we start focusing on the team."