Relief pitching, balanced offense help Ball State extend streak

Freshman first baseman Caleb Stayton runs to home base in the March 21 game against Bowling Green at Ball Diamond. Ball State

Ball State weekend results 

Date        Opponent         Location       Result 

Feb. 20     High Point     Aiken, S.C.      3-1(W)

Feb. 21    High Point      Aiken, S.C.      6-3 (W)

Feb. 21       Elon            Aiken, S.C.      18-8 (W) 

Feb. 22       Elon            Aiken, S.C.       8-3 (W)

After opening the season with two losses, the Ball State baseball team has won four straight, with its latest victory coming Sunday in an 8-3 win over Elon. 

First baseman Caleb Stayton hit two doubles and scored two runs, and center fielder Matt Eppers finished with a double, a triple and two RBIs. 

Freshman pitcher Brendan Burns earned the win, entering the game for starter Matt Haro with two outs in the third. Burns allowed one run over 5.1 innings, holding Elon batters to one hit, while striking out five and walking four. 

For the second consecutive game, the Cardinals jumped out to a first inning lead against the Phoenix, after an RBI groundout from left fielder Elbert Devarie scored second baseman Ryan Spaulding who had led off with a triple. 

Ball State weekend results
Date
Opponent
Location
Result
Feb. 20
High Point
Aiken, S.C.
3-1(W)
Feb. 21
High Point
Aiken, S.C.
6-3 (W)
Feb. 21
Elon
Aiken, S.C.
18-8 (W)
Feb. 22
Elon
Aiken, S.C.
8-3 (W)

After Elon tied the score in the bottom half of the frame, an error by Phoenix shortstop Andy Moore allowed the Cardinals to recapture the lead with two unearned runs in the second. 

Elon cut the lead to 3-2 in the bottom of the second and threatened to take the lead with two outs and the bases loaded, but Burns entered in relief and recorded the final out of the inning. 

Ball State regained a two-run lead at 4-2 in the fifth, but Elon again answered with a run of its own in the inning's bottom half. 

Stayton led off the sixth inning by getting hit by a pitch, and the next four batters proceeded to get on base as the Cardinals scored four times to extend their advantage to 8-3.

Ball State outhit Elon 12-8 and both sides committed an error. 

With the win, the Cardinals improve to 4-2 on the season.