Ball State basketball hoping to benefit from Cardinal Commitment

Cardinal Commitment will include a new practice court and new locker rooms for men’s and women’s basketball. The campaign was announced April 20, 2013, with a goal of $20 million. RENDERINGS COURTESY OF BSU ATHLETICS

Features of new Court Sports Practice Facility

Expanded practice area

New basketball locker rooms

Coaching offices

Renovated/Expanded volleyball locker rooms

The Ball State basketball programs will receive a boost following the close of the Cardinal Commitment fundraising campaign that raised a total of $20.6 million for athletic facilities. 

The new Court Sports Practice Facility will feature a complex built next to Worthen Arena that include a practice court, locker rooms, coaching offices.

“I could go on for hours about the impact,” head women's basketball coach Brady Sallee said. “The impact it's already had on recruiting, just being able to talk about the plans to recruits ... an ability to train your athletes at the highest level.”

Currently, the men's and women's basketball teams share Worthen Arena for practice time, which can lead to scheduling conflicts. Between class and practice, it can be a struggle for some student-athletes.

This new addition should look to fix that problem, improving the quality and time constraints of both teams' practices.

Some donors expressed the most interest in aiding the basketball programs, citing the need for an update as well as both of the teams' recent successes.

The complex does'nt have a completion date set, but is expected to be finished within the next few years.

Sallee said the new addition will aid his team in improving to the standard he sets.

“If we're going to do this at the level we talk about doing this at, you have got to be able to train your athletes,” Sallee said.