The E-Cig Effect

Electric cigarettes offer a tobacco alternative to the smoking experience.

Nick Simpson drips Davy Jones Locker flavored liquid into a coiled chamber and screws it onto a battery. He pushes a button on the side of the battery, which heats the liquid and turns it into a vapor. He then inhales the vapor like a cigarette.

Simpson, a freshman actuarial science major at Ball State, recently began using e-cigarettes. He first used his friend’s e-cig, but eventually bought his own this summer.

Simpson tries to smoke twice a day for 10-minute periods. Simpson is part of the 29 percent of college-aged adults that uses an e-cig.

Aroma Coffee and Vapor Store owner Todd Effinger relies on e-cigarette growth and popularity to keep his business thriving.

“I wouldn’t be in the business if I didn’t think they would become more popular,” Effinger said.

His main customers are adults who’ve smoked for many years, but are trying to quit traditional tobacco products, and college students who have picked up e-cigarettes for a variety of reasons.

Large racks of e-cigarette oils line a section of the wall, organized by flavors. A central display case houses different modules and batteries for the e-cigarettes, and a tasting station is assembled for customers to try as many flavors as they want.

When renovations are complete, Effinger hopes his store, located on McGalliard Road, will combine the relaxed, social aspect of a coffee shop with the modern twist of an e-cigarette store.

Thirty-nine percent of college-aged adults have tried an e-cig at least once, and 68 percent have smoked traditional cigarettes before.

Keep getting your fix of e-cig info with the full story over at BallBearingsMag.com