Scotty's owners plan new brewery in east downtown

<p>Scott Wise, owner of Scotty’s Brewhouse, is hoping to open a Thr3e Wise Men Brewery in the Cintas building on Jackson St. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

Scott Wise, owner of Scotty’s Brewhouse, is hoping to open a Thr3e Wise Men Brewery in the Cintas building on Jackson St. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Scotty's Brewhouse locations:

• Muncie
  • Fort Wayne
  • Bloomington
  • West Lafayette
  • Indianapolis Downtown
  • Indianapolis 96th Street
  • Indianapolis South
  • Mishawaka
  • Brownsburg
  • Carmel

Thr3e Wise Men Brewery locations:

• Indianapolis Broad Ripple
  • Muncie- Marriott Hotel (upcoming)
  • Muncie- Cintas building (possible)

The owner of Scotty's Brewhouse said he is waiting on the city of Muncie to go forward with a new brewery in downtown Muncie. 

Scott Wise, owner of Scotty’s Brewhouse, hopes to open a Thr3e Wise Men Brewery in the Cintas building on Jackson Street. 

“It’s in the planning stage right now, so there’s no concrete or definite terms,” said Wise. “Scott Truex and Mayor Dennis Tyler came to me with the idea of opening a brewery at the Cintas plant.”

John Fallon, the spokesperson for facilitating the Cintas building, said he would expect a brewery to bring in a lot of revenue.

“We’re still looking at all the possibilities,” Fallon said. “The building is still owned by Cintas and as of right now, there is nothing scheduled to discuss plans.”

Wise said the city would buy the building from the Cintas company and then make an offer to sell it to him.

“They came to me at a good time because I was thinking of opening a brewery in Indianapolis,” he said. “Then I thought what better place to do it than where it started?”

Truex, Mayor Tyler and Wise have already discussed square feet to use, how many employees he could hire and how deliveries would work. This will be the third Scotty’s company in Muncie if Wise purchases the building.

Aside from the Village location, a Thr3e Wise Men pizza pub is scheduled to open December 2015 near the Marriott Hotel in Muncie.

Wise said he’s been looking for a facility for onsite brewing to expand on brewing and his distribution of craft beer. All of his restaurants receive 125 kegs of beer from his Broad Ripple location in northern Indianapolis.

The Muncie brewery would supply beer to the 12 current restaurants and other companies that sell Thr3e Wise Men craft beer. Wise said five additional restaurants would open by the end of 2015 and will double the current production of beer.

For the upcoming brewery, Wise said he wants to hold sample tastings and tours, provide reception space in the facility and offer catering. He also wants to bring in college students and graduates. He plans on hiring full-time and part-time employees for delivery driver positions, brewing positions and laboratory positions.

“College towns like this experience a ‘brain and drain,'” he said. “Students come for the education, but leave for bigger cities to pursue careers. We need to keep the young minds of talent in Muncie.”