MENS BASKETBALL: Kiapway comfortable in starting role

Freshman guard Francis Kiapway looks for an open teammate to pass the ball to during the game against Central Michigan on Jan. 10 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Francis Kiapway 2014-15 per game statistics: 

• 5.5 points  
  • 1.4 rebounds 
  • 1.3 assists 
  • 0.45 steals 
  • 21.6 minutes

After missing the first two games of the season with a foot injury, Ball State men's basketball guard Francis Kiapway didn't shy away from the big moment. In his fourth career game, he buried two three-pointers in the last two minutes to help Ball State defeat Indiana State.

Three games later, after fellow freshman Jeremie Tyler was deemed academically ineligible for the rest of the season, Kiapway was promoted to the starting lineup against Longwood.

“I didn’t really think it would happen,” said Kiapway. “You never know when your number will get called. Mine did, and we haven’t lost a game since then.”

Since Kiapway became a starter the Cardinals are on a four-game winning streak, including a 2-0 start in Mid-American Conference play.

Ball State head coach James Whitford has been pleased with Kiapway's level of production as a starter. He praised the freshman's understanding of the game and how quickly he's adjusted to the style of play.

At 6-foot-3 and 190-pounds, Kiapway is bigger than  lot of guards. He sees himself as an energy player who can spark the game with his defense and scoring, whether it’s starting or coming off the bench. 

He can also play the point guard position and run the offense. Whitford doesn't look at Kiapway as a guard who can have double-digit assists every night, but still trusts him to make good decisions with the ball.

"He's a really solid piece that we really trust when he's in there," Whitford said. "I trust him. He makes very few mistakes, takes good shots, and lets the game come to him."

Kiapway is also praised by his teammates and coaches for his strong work ethic and level of intensity, as well as the defensive prowess he brings to the court.

Junior forward Bo Calhoun has established a close relationship with Kiapway.

Calhoun credits Kiapway as a player who works hard for his position and didn’t expect any handouts, always wanting to defend against the best guards on opposing teams. Prior to the season, the pair worked out in the offseason together.

“We hang out a lot outside the court,” said Calhoun. “Kiapway is a tough player who shows the desire to play."

In Ball State's last game, an 83-65 win over Central Michigan, Kiapway went 0-6 from the field.

Kiapway said he doesn't expect his poor performance to carry over, but knows his intensity and work ethic are other attributes that can still help his team win.