MEN'S BASKETBALL: Freshman Jeremie Tyler ruled academically ineligible for remainder of season

Freshman guard Jeremie Tyler high fives members of The Nest after the game against Indiana State on Dec. 6 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERT

The Ball State men’s basketball team will be without starting guard Jeremie Tyler for the remainder of the season, as the freshman is academically ineligible for the second semester.

“This is a tough lesson for Jeremie to learn during his freshman year, but I am confident he will rebound from it in a positive manner,” Ball State head coach James Whitford said in a statement. “While we are disappointed we will have to play without him this semester, we expect him to grow from this setback.”

Tyler started all nine games he played this season, averaging 12 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game. His 18 three-pointers are currently second on the team.

Per NCAA rules, Tyler is allowed to practice with the team, but can’t play until meeting NCAA academic eligibility standards.

“I did not perform in the classroom up to the standards I have for myself, and, for that, I want to apologize to all I have disappointed, including my family, teammates, our fans and alumni,” Tyler said in a statement.

Ball State hosts Bethune-Cookman at 2 p.m. Saturday.