Freshman makes immediate impact

Freshman middle attacker Matt Walsh hits the ball during the game against Penn State on Jan. 16 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Matt Walsh season statistics

Kills - 32

Kills per set - 1.45

Attack percentage - .537

Service aces - 7

Digs - 5

Solo blocks - 5

Block assists - 35

Blocks per set - 1.82

It's easy to see why a 6-foot-10, three-year letter winner, two-time regional champion at Mount Carmel High School in Illinois and one of Volleyball Magazine's Fab 50 prospects for 2014 was of interest to Ball State men's volleyball coach Joel Walton.

Before coming to Ball State, Matt Walsh won a national championship with Club Ultimate and was a member of the 2013 U.S. Boys’ Youth National Volleyball Team. He was also selected to the 21-player roster for the U.S. men's junior national training team.

"[Matt] has been playing in top level competition for quite some time," Walton said. "For Matt, to be on the court against guys who are already professional and to be representing the United States, had to be an incredible experience."

Walsh's competitive nature and sports background began at an early age.

His mother played basketball at Saint Francis, his father played football at Elmhurst and his sister plays basketball at Truman.

Walsh's older brother plays volleyball for No. 3 Lewis. who visits Feb. 12 at Worthen Arena.

The Walsh brothers are two of the best defensive players in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.

"I'm higher in everything but digs, so I'm kind of rubbing it in his face, because he always said '[the] older brother always wins,'" Walsh said.

In his second week of collegiate action, Walsh claimed the MIVA Defensive Player of the week award, as well as being named National Freshman of the Week by Off the Block.

Walsh was again named MIVA Defensive Player of the week for the week ending Jan. 25, marking the second time he won the award in three weeks of college play.

"They don't give that award to a freshman, if the numbers were close he probably wouldn't get it," Walton said, "His numbers have separated him so far from everyone else, there was really no other choice."

Walsh is one of three Cardinals who have played all 22 sets this season.

Offensively, he sits on 32 kills, with a .537 attack percentage and seven aces, putting him second on Ball State's roster in both categories.

Defensively, he leads the nation in blocks per set average at 1.82.

In Ball State's match against Sacred Heart Jan. 24, Walsh registered 14 total blocks, a Ball State record for blocks in a three-set match and ties the record for blocks in five sets.

Ball State currently leads the nation as a team in blocks per set average, due in part to Walsh's efforts.

"I knew that because [Matt Leske] had graduated last year I had huge shoes to fill," Walsh said. "I'm just glad I've been playing well enough to fill them."

Walton expects his young middle attacker to continue improving and leading the Cardinals as the season continues.

"As good as he's done so far, we think he has a lot more potential once he becomes more discipline with how he moves and more efficient in how he takes his steps," Walton said.