Ball State falls to Miami on road, lose 6th straight game

Senior center Matt Kamieniecki goes up for a shot during the game against Central Michigan on Jan. 10 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Matt Kamieniecki returned to the starting lineup after missing the last two games with a lower back injury, but it would not be enough to stop Miami as it defeated Ball State 79-73.

“You know we didn’t win the game, it’s not easy winning on the road,” head coach James Whitford said. “We played the game the right way ... I told the guys in the locker room I’m disappointed we lost in our defense.”

Ball State was looking for a turnaround Saturday, entering the game with a five-game losing streak. Both teams came in with a 2-5 record in the Mid-American Conference.

The Cardinals got off to a quick 8-0 start, forcing a Redhawks timeout.

Freshman Sean Sellers ignited the offense with two three-pointers early on in the first half, finishing with nine points in the first 20 minutes.

After trailing 17-6, Miami responded with a 12-0 run to take the lead 18-17.

Leading 35-30, Kamieniecki sank a triple to put Ball State up 38-30 to go into halftime.

Ball State shot 10-17 from behind the arc in the first half with six different players hitting at least one three-pointer.

Like the first half, the beginning of the second half started off in favor of Ball State.

Sellers continued his hot shooting display with an early three-pointer to give the Cardinals a 13-point lead at 43-30.

Sellars shot 4-5 from three-point range in the game, finishing with 15 points. Sophomore Franko House added 15 points also.

Trailing 49-38, Miami’s full- and half-court pressure began to affect Ball State.

The Redhawks went on a 19-4 run late in the second half. The Cardinals finished the game with 17 turnovers.

“The press really hurt us obviously,” said Whitford. “When it really hurt us is when Jeremiah [Davis] was out with four fouls and we were down to one ball-handler.”

The game remained close despite the Redhawks' run. With seven minutes to play, Davis hit a three to regain the 62-60 lead. Davis had been struggling of late, shooting 1-14 in his last two games

Both teams traded baskets the last two minutes, until Miami capitalized on a corner three from senior Will Sullivan.

Ball State couldn't respond, as Miami pushed the lead at the free-throw line to seal the win.

The Cardinals shot an impressive 58 percent from the field overall and behind the arc, but Whitford said defense was the telling point.

“At the end of the day the reason we did not win this game was our defense let us down,” Whitford said.

The Cardinals are now 7-12 overall and 2-6 in MAC play. They return to Worthen arena Feb. 4 against Buffalo in hopes of ending their losing streak.