Calhoun improves with boosted confidence

Junior forward Bo Calhoun shoots the ball during the game against Kent State on Jan. 24 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Calhoun season statistics

Games played-started - 17-1

Minutes per game - 21.9

Points per game - 6.5

Field goal percentage - .505

Free-throw percentage - .800

Rebounds per game - 4.9

Blocks - 8

Steals - 6

In a loss to Kent State Saturday, junior forward Bo Calhoun's newly found confidence was on display.

Starting his first career game due to senior Matt Kamieniecki sitting out with back spasms, Calhoun finished with 12 points and five rebounds, as well as being voted player of the game.

Calhoun says believing in himself is the key reason for his turnaround season thus far.

“It was always confidence for me,” said Calhoun. “Last year I just lost confidence, whether it was not playing a lot or my shot wasn’t going in.”

In his first two seasons at Ball State, Calhoun never finished in double- figure scoring, averaging 9.6 minutes per game.

This season he has already scored in double-digit figures four times, posting his first double double against Ohio with 11 points and ten rebounds on Jan. 21.

Calhoun is averaging career-highs in points with 6.5 per game, rebounds with 4.9 per contest, and minutes with a 21.9 average.

Calhoun credits himself as a player who brings energy to the game, always uplifting his teammates and taking the open shot. Working the boards is what he prides himself in.

His effort on the glass has him ranked 18th in the Mid-American Conference in rebounding as a bench player.

Calhoun is constantly credited by teammates and coaches for his work ethic, which is evident in his improved 12-to-15 foot jump shot.

All summer, Calhoun played one-on-one games with guards Zavier Turner and Francis Kiapway. Though he plays the power forward position, he says playing against them helped with his lateral quickness, making it easier to switch on guards during games.

Calhoun's overall improvement has not changed his humble nature, a quality Whitford praises him for.

“Bo’s greatest strength is his humility,” said Whitford. “That’s his greatest quality, I really value that both with him on the court and off the court.”

Being a passionate vocal leader is one aspect of the team game Calhoun wants to continue improving. Growing up, he said he looked up to NBA star Kevin Garnett because of how much he communicated on the court.

Communication and leadership will be key if the Cardinals want to snap their current four-game losing streak.

With 12 games remaining in the season, Calhoun still has time to continue improving and help Ball State make some noise in the MAC.