BSU Fit program offers 'high-intensity' Insanity workout

<p>On Tuesdays at 6:45 p.m., there is a BSU Fit class that now offers insanity at the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center in room 212A. DN PHOTO ALLISON COFFIN</p>

On Tuesdays at 6:45 p.m., there is a BSU Fit class that now offers insanity at the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center in room 212A. DN PHOTO ALLISON COFFIN

Amazon User Reviews

"My muscles are currently screaming, every bit of me hurts. Every day, I both love and dread pushing play on this dvd, because I know what will happen when I do." -Storylover

"The exercises come fast and furious with a good mix of cardio and strength building (e.g. squat type exercises and push-up type exercises). But its primary focus is the CORE. If you didn't know what that meant before Insanity, you will definitely understand it once you begin." -A. Ort

"This is a workout that will push you to your limits, and that is the secret to its success. " -Jamie Righter

With mats strewn across the floor and looks of anticipation on her students' faces, Becca Chalfant, a senior exercise science major, begins the strenuous, 30-minute workout known as Insanity.

“The first move of warm-up is always jogging,” Chalfant said.

Every Tuesday at 6:45 p.m., Chalfant can be found at the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center in room 212A.

Chalfant teaches the only Insanity workout offered in the BSU Fit program. She brought the class to Ball State three semesters ago.

Chalfant went through a one-day certification process in order to teach the class. The certification included paying a fee, taking a written test and taking a practical test.

Insanity’s website gives a warning that most people will not make it all the way through their first workout with Insanity.

The program is “high-intensity,” said Chalfant.

Warm-up begins with participants executing six moves for 30 seconds each. The cycle is repeated three times.

“You don’t get a break,” Chalfant said. “You’re at one level the first round, you kick it up for the second one and even harder for the third one.”

The three blocks after the warm-up entail moves carried out for 30 seconds each, resulting in a three to four minute workout. 

Between each set, participants rest for 30 seconds. Each block has a special power move at the end, which is carried out for a minute straight.

In order to keep track of time, Insanity also provides special music with a buzzer indicating when it’s time to switch moves or blocks.

After the extreme power moves, some exhausted participants have to take a break. A quick glance around the small room reveals people lying on the ground or standing with their hands on their hips. One even escapes to get a drink.

Chalfant is no stranger to a good sweat.

She started taking Zumba fitness classes in high school and continued with fitness classes at Ball State.

After her freshman year, Chalfant applied to become a BSU fitness instructor. Chalfant has also taught classes in Zumba, TurboKick, AquaFit, hardcore, and women on weights.

She enjoys the difficulty of Insanity because it conditions her body.

“It makes you push yourself,” Chalfant said. “It makes you find something deep inside yourself that keeps you going.”

She recommends cardio workouts as a pre-requisite for her class.

Still, Chalfant said each Insanity move comes with a modification for struggling students.

Chalfant said her class usually brings out around 20 people.

Peter Beerbower, a freshman biology and genetics major, said he encourages others to try Insanity out.

“It’s the best workout on campus,” Beerbower said.