Ball State defeats Miami for 2nd time this season

Sophomore guard Jill Morrison looks for an open teammate to pass the ball to during the game against Western Michigan on Jan. 10 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State women's basketball team rebounded quickly from its loss to the top Mid-American Conference's team Ohio, winning in dominant fashion against Miami 72-55, the team's second blowout victory over the Redhawks this season.

Ball State beat Miami 72-41 on Jan. 7.

The Cardinals came out of the first half and completely dominated the Redhawks in all aspects of the game. Ball State capped off the first half with a 33-5 run in the last seven minutes, going into the locker room with a commanding 44-17 lead. 

"We came out on fire there and really put them away early like we hoped," head coach Brady Sallee said.

The second half was more competitive than the first half, but Ball State would not allow Miami to do much damage to its lead. Miami outscored Ball State by 10 in the second half, but most of its second half production came in last five minutes of the game.

The win was Ball State's second straight on the road.

Offensively, every Cardinal recorded at least two points during the game. The team shot 44.4 percent from field goal range and 65.4 percent from the free-throw line. 

Sophomore Jill Morrison led the offensive surge, finishing with 18 points, the majority of which came from beyond the arc. She finished with four of eight from beyond the arc. 

Nathalie Fontaine, the team's leading scorer, put up 13 points for her eighth straight game in double-figures. Fontaine also passed the 300-point mark on the season. 

Moriah Monaco was the third Ball State player in double-figures in her second start of the season, scoring 11 points. 

"We had the girls playing against each other hard during the week and made sure they were ready for any defense that would come their way," Sallee said.

Ball State's defense returned to form after struggling against Ohio on Jan. 24.The Cardinals created 22 turnovers in the game, including 13 steals, their highest total of the season. Miami shot 35.3 percent from field goal range and 17.6 percent from three-point range. 

"The full court press really worked well against them, and the girls went out hungry and rebounded from Ohio quickly," Sallee said.

With the win, the Cardinals improve to 10-9 on the season, their third consecutive season with at least 10 wins. They also move to 6-2 in the MAC, remaining one game behind Ohio for the top spot.

Ball State will return home Jan. 31 to take on Northern Illinois (6-10; 2-4 MAC).